Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Exact placement of line

What's the simples way to place a horizontal line exactly at 3.25" from the
top of the page? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:28:01 -0700, Island Girl
wrote:

What's the simples way to place a horizontal line exactly at 3.25" from the
top of the page? Thanks!

Use the line tool on the Drawing toolbar, holding the Shift key to keep the line
horizontal. Make it the right length.

Right-click the line and choose Format AutoShape. In the dialog, click the
Layout tab. In that tab, click the Advanced button.

In the next dialog, in the Vertical section, click in the Absolute Position box
and type 3.25". To the right of that, set the dropdown to Page.

Click OK in each dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Jay, thanks for coming to my rescue once again! I never worry a single bit
about getting the answer to my questions, because I know that you and your
fellow MVPs are "lookout out for me."

wrote:

What's the simples way to place a horizontal line exactly at 3.25" from the
top of the page? Thanks!

Use the line tool on the Drawing toolbar, holding the Shift key to keep the line
horizontal. Make it the right length.

Right-click the line and choose Format AutoShape. In the dialog, click the
Layout tab. In that tab, click the Advanced button.

In the next dialog, in the Vertical section, click in the Absolute Position box
and type 3.25". To the right of that, set the dropdown to Page.

Click OK in each dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

One more thing, Jay, while we're on the subject.

I'm doing stock certificates in which several pieces of text (i.e., name,
Certificate No., etc) have to be in exact locations. Does everything have to
be in a text box in order to get exact placement? There isn't much room for
error and I'm nervous.

Any tip regarding this type of work will surely be appreciated.

Thanks again, Jay.

wrote:

What's the simples way to place a horizontal line exactly at 3.25" from the
top of the page? Thanks!

Use the line tool on the Drawing toolbar, holding the Shift key to keep the line
horizontal. Make it the right length.

Right-click the line and choose Format AutoShape. In the dialog, click the
Layout tab. In that tab, click the Advanced button.

In the next dialog, in the Vertical section, click in the Absolute Position box
and type 3.25". To the right of that, set the dropdown to Page.

Click OK in each dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If you are printing the result onto a pre-printed form, then Text Boxes
fixed the same way as the line (Format Text Box, Layout Tab, Advanced button
and choose Absolute value relative to the page) will work fine. But if you
are concerned that users may enter too many characters, then you can use
Text Form Fields set to a maximum number of characters (use the number 8 to
test the box as 8s use maximum character width).

But I'm sure that the Text Boxes should fit the requirement.

Terry Farrell

wrote:

What's the simples way to place a horizontal line exactly at 3.25" from
the
top of the page? Thanks!

Use the line tool on the Drawing toolbar, holding the Shift key to keep
the line
horizontal. Make it the right length.

Right-click the line and choose Format AutoShape. In the dialog, click
the
Layout tab. In that tab, click the Advanced button.

In the next dialog, in the Vertical section, click in the Absolute
Position box
and type 3.25". To the right of that, set the dropdown to Page.

Click OK in each dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman