Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jennifer M. Jennifer M. is offline

Default Outline Numbering for Word 2007

I'm a new 2007 user and I'm frustrated with the outlining function. I'll be
outlining just fine and then all of the sudden the outlining will misnumber.
Sometimes it goes backwards -- A, B, A or starts off at a random number like
3. Then sometimes it will randomly bold, even though bold hadn't been used
for several lines. I would appreciate it if anyone can help fix this before I
throw my computer out of the window. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Set up numbering with *styles* to have it work properly; that hasn't changed
from previous versions.

To edit an existing outline-numbered list in Word 2007, place the insertion
point in the first top-level item (which means the first Heading 1 of the
document for heading numbering). Then click the Home tab of the ribbon, and
click Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Word displays a dialog
box simliar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003.
You may still find the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html helpful.

The quickest way to create a new outline numbered list is to choose one of
the built-in formats at Home tab | Multilevel List (it can then be modified
as described above).

Note that it may be safer to create a list style in Word: Click Home tab |
Multilevel List | Define New List Style. Give the list style a name. Click
Format, and then click Numbering to specify the desired characteristics of
the style (including associated paragraph styles).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jennifer M." Jennifer wrote in message
I'm a new 2007 user and I'm frustrated with the outlining function. I'll
be
outlining just fine and then all of the sudden the outlining will
misnumber.
Sometimes it goes backwards -- A, B, A or starts off at a random number
like
3. Then sometimes it will randomly bold, even though bold hadn't been used
for several lines. I would appreciate it if anyone can help fix this
before I
throw my computer out of the window. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Hmine Bob Hmine is offline

I must really be blind, I click on the Home tab and do not see "Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List" anywhere. Is that off of the ribbon, off
of a menu somewhere, a right click, on the right side, ...(?) Thanks.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WhiteRat[_2_] WhiteRat[_2_] is offline

On mine, it is on the Paragraph section on the Home tab. Just above the
justification select buttons. There are 3 of them, and the one on the right
end is the one for multilevel list options.

"Bob Hmine" Bob wrote in message

I must really be blind, I click on the Home tab and do not see "Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List" anywhere. Is that off of the ribbon,
off

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Also, note that having ScreenTips displayed (Popular tab of the Word Options
dialog box) helps identify the various buttons.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WhiteRat" wrote in message
On mine, it is on the Paragraph section on the Home tab. Just above the
justification select buttons. There are 3 of them, and the one on the
right end is the one for multilevel list options.

"Bob Hmine" Bob wrote in message

I must really be blind, I click on the Home tab and do not see
"Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List" anywhere. Is that off of the ribbon,
off