Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MT the Marble MT the Marble is offline

Default How do I delete items in the Recent Document list?

I move files a lot around my harddrive. When I want to open a file I recently
opened, it's there on the Recent Documents list. However, I have most
probably moved the file and I have to re-open it the manual way. Is there any
way to delete the files there?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

What version of Word? If Word 2003 or earlier, press Ctrl+Alt+Dash (top row
dash... between 0/) and+/=). This turns the pointer into a big dash. Click
on File, and then click on the file you want removed from the list.

If you're using Word 2007, there's no easy and direct way. You can set the
number of recent documents to 0 and then back to the desired number. But,
that gets rid of them all, rather than selectively.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"MT the Marble" MT the wrote in message
I move files a lot around my harddrive. When I want to open a file I
recently
opened, it's there on the Recent Documents list. However, I have most
probably moved the file and I have to re-open it the manual way. Is there
any
way to delete the files there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Panish Desai Panish Desai is offline

Hello,

I think you are using MS Word 2007. You can follow the steps below and that
can help you in removing the items from Recent document list on Office Button
Menu.

Step 1: Remove an Item from Recent Document List in Word 2007

1. Quit Word 2007 and Close all the other applications.
2. Use key combination "Windows Key + R" to get Run prompt, type "regedit"
(Without Quotes) and Click OK
3. Locate the Folder "
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\File MRU"
4. On the Right Side Column of folder File MRU, you should find the list
of Items (check the File name under Data Column)
5. Right Click on the required Item and Delete the Item.
6. Close the Registry Editor and Launch Word 2007

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:59:01 -0700, MT the Marble MT the
wrote:

I move files a lot around my harddrive. When I want to open a file I recently
opened, it's there on the Recent Documents list. However, I have most
probably moved the file and I have to re-open it the manual way. Is there any
way to delete the files there?

Download Greg Maxey's add-in from
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

See: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

MT the Marble wrote:
I move files a lot around my harddrive. When I want to open a file I
recently opened, it's there on the Recent Documents list. However, I
have most probably moved the file and I have to re-open it the manual
way. Is there any way to delete the files there?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

*Word up to 2003*
If you want to delete them all then set tools options general recently
used files to 0, confirm the change, then change it back to the number it
was previously.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/clear_recently_used_file_list.htm

If you want to selectively delete, then it gets altogether more complicated,
but friend and fellow MVP Greg Maxey has done all the work - see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

*Word 2007*
The list is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Wor d\FileMRU, from where you
can delete individual entries
or
You can use the following macro which will reset the list to your preset
preferred number of displayed documents:

Sub ClearMRU
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
listsize = RecentFiles.Maximum
RecentFiles.Maximum = 0
RecentFiles.Maximum = listsize
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
or again to edit the list see

MT the Marble wrote:
I move files a lot around my harddrive. When I want to open a file I
recently opened, it's there on the Recent Documents list. However, I
have most probably moved the file and I have to re-open it the manual
way. Is there any way to delete the files there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

A more incremental method is to just ignore the outdated listing and
manually open then save it. Eventually the old link will fall off the
bottom of the list. No messing around in Registry or reading up
on specific procedures. (Yeah, the Lazy Man's Way usually works
for me.)

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In Word 2007, you can have 50+ files listed in the MRU (depending on the
size/resolution of your screen), so the lazy man's way may take a very long
time.

Terry

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I'm lazy enough to set Word 2003 at
its max of 9 but I can't imagine setting it at 50. Maybe 20 max.
After 20 or so, I won't even remember opening the file. ;-)

Besides, I can ignore the old link for a very, very long time. The
old link always is below the new one you created by manually opening
and saving the file in its new location, so you'll see the new one
first when eyeballing down the list.

I know, this is a kludge work-around and not the elegant full-blown
solution that experts like to offer; but sometimes the problem is not
worth the effort to fix it elegantly.

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jelle Janssens Jelle Janssens is offline

Thanks a lot about the CTRL+ALT+- combo. I really didn't know about
that and I couldn't find something like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\File MRU in the registry. It was for a non-
technical user anyway, so this method is easier than explaining them
how to navigate in the registry.

Kind regards,

"mazorj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Just beware that any menu or menu item that you click on with the thick
black hyphen will be deleted; not just the MRU files. It may be even more
dangerous for novice users.

Terry