Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

Default Shading Title at top of page

I can't find my question that I posted yesterday, even with searching my
name. Don't know what happened to it. Anyway, I'm using Word 2003 and I've
encountered this issue with previous versions, as well. My document is
several pages and sometimes has page breaks. I have a title at the top of
the page before every page break. I shaded the title black which extends
from margin to margin. That's fine. But the problem is that it also shades
the page break black! If I remove the black strip at the bottom of the page,
the black shading goes from the title at the top of the page. I would be
deeply greatful to have this resolved because it's been an annoying feature
for a few years! First time I'm posting a question on it! Thanks. Connie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of a manual page break, use "Page break before" formatting (Format |
Paragraph, Line and Page Breaks tab) for the relevant paragraph(s).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
I can't find my question that I posted yesterday, even with searching my
name. Don't know what happened to it. Anyway, I'm using Word 2003 and I've
encountered this issue with previous versions, as well. My document is
several pages and sometimes has page breaks. I have a title at the top of
the page before every page break. I shaded the title black which extends
from margin to margin. That's fine. But the problem is that it also shades
the page break black! If I remove the black strip at the bottom of the page,
the black shading goes from the title at the top of the page. I would be
deeply greatful to have this resolved because it's been an annoying feature
for a few years! First time I'm posting a question on it! Thanks. Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

Yes, I am just trying that now, but you know, Word 2003 is really not
user-friendly when it comes to some of these things. I am finding "page
break before" quite annoying in other ways. I think I am going to just
remove the shading. It's too bad because the document looks nice that way
but grrr-rrrr-rrr, what a pain! Your answer resolves the issue posted.
Thank you.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've never found "Page break before" annoying in any way. And it's very easy
to apply if you use the buttons (with faces kindly supplied by Robert Franz)
found at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CustomToolbar.htm.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

Yes, I've done those cute little buttons. Have a few on my toolbar now. But
not having a button wasn't the annoying part. See my response to Stefan.
Connie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

When I decided to type another line underneath the first line of the page,
then it jumped to another page. I had to remove then the "page break before"
to bring it back. That's what I found annoying, especially when I had a few
to do like that. There should be something more user-friendly than this!
Surely! For instance when you do section breaks and have different
footers/headers, you simply click on "Link to Previous" like a toggle switch
to link it or to not link it. And it remains that way until you change it.
But....unless I'm doing something incorrectly...I had to keep removing and
checking again the "page break before". But, I guess, like most things,
after you do it a few times, you get it down pat. Thanks for responding.
Connie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whenever you apply formatting to a paragraph, then that formatting will be
carried over to new paragraphs *in the same style* that are created by
pressing Enter at the end of the paragraph. But if you were using one of
Word's built-in heading styles, the following style would be Normal, and you
would not encounter this problem.

http://word.mvps.org