Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MikeT MikeT is offline

Default Dormant Hard returns or the equivalent?

WordPerfect has long supported dormant hard returns so that, when the last
line of a paragraph is on the last line of a page, which would cause the
blank line between paragraphs to be printed on the next page, it's suppressed
so that the first line of the next paragraph is printed on the first line of
the next page, not the second line.

Word has never supported that, so far as I can tell. I've never found a way
to do that. Every time I make a lot of major updates, I have to go through
the entire document to ensure that each page starts on the first line, not
the second line. How can I do the same thing automatically in Word?

BTW, widow and orphan control is turned on, but that only deals with leaving
individual line stragglers.

How do I force Word to start the next paragraph on the first line of the
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The solution to this is not to insert empty paragraphs between text
paragraphs. Instead of pressing Enter twice at the end of every paragraph,
press it only once and press Ctrl+0 to add 12 points Spacing Above (or go to
Format | Paragraph and add 12 points Spacing Below instead). This is the
equivalent of a "blank line," and the extra space is suppressed at the top
of a page.

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeT" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com is offline

Word accomplishes this by suppressing the line spacing that is part of the
paragraph style. Settings in Word options layout options provide a little
more control.

To take advantage of this you'll have to add space after to your paragraph
styles. If your document style requires a full line space between paragraphs,
you'll have to calculate it. Single spacing in Word is 120% of the font size
(based on the very popular 10 on 12 line spacing used in many printed
documents). So for a 12-point font the line spacing is 14.4.

Good luck. I hope you are able to give up those manual adjustments.

Pam