Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Otyokwa Otyokwa is offline

Default Spell Check Quits

I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I insert a
citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit citation to place
a page number and finally convert citation to static text the spell check
stops checking. I then have to go to the review ribbon and click on the set
language tab because the box by the "Do not check spelling or grammar" will
then be checked. I then unclick the box and spell check will work fine until
the next time I do the above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert to
text). I have tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have gone into the
registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a new proofing tools
registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Otyokwa Otyokwa is offline

I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit citation and
put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to static text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and click the
set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling or grammar" box. I
must do this every time after I do steps 1-4. The language is set to English
and it is not checked before I do steps 1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word version is
involved?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I insert
a citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit citation
to place a page number and finally convert citation to static text
the spell check stops checking. I then have to go to the review
ribbon and click on the set language tab because the box by the "Do
not check spelling or grammar" will then be checked. I then unclick
the box and spell check will work fine until the next time I do the
above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert to text). I have
tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have gone into the
registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a new proofing
tools registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think this is normal behaviour with fields and should only affect the
field that has been converted to text - however it is easy to resolve.
Select the text and press CTRL+Space to re-apply the underlying style.

Otyokwa wrote:
I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit
citation and put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to static
text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and
click the set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling or
grammar" box. I must do this every time after I do steps 1-4. The
language is set to English and it is not checked before I do steps
1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word
version is involved?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I
insert a citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit
citation to place a page number and finally convert citation to
static text the spell check stops checking. I then have to go to
the review ribbon and click on the set language tab because the
box by the "Do not check spelling or grammar" will then be checked.
I then unclick the box and spell check will work fine until the
next time I do the above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert
to text). I have tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have
gone into the registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a
new proofing tools registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Otyokwa Otyokwa is offline

It is normal behavior for the box in the language tab to check itself? It
doesn't just affect the converted text it affects everything that is typed
after the citation. So I can do steps 1-4 below and then start typing sdsdsds
or whatever misspelling I wish after the citation and it will not mark it as
spelled wrong until I uncheck that box mentioned below. If I go and type
sdsdsds before the citation it will mark it as spelled incorrectly.

Otyokwa wrote:
I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit
citation and put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to static
text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and
click the set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling or
grammar" box. I must do this every time after I do steps 1-4. The
language is set to English and it is not checked before I do steps
1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word
version is involved?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I
insert a citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit
citation to place a page number and finally convert citation to
static text the spell check stops checking. I then have to go to
the review ribbon and click on the set language tab because the
box by the "Do not check spelling or grammar" will then be checked.
I then unclick the box and spell check will work fine until the
next time I do the above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert
to text). I have tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have
gone into the registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a
new proofing tools registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The language (which includes the "Do not check" property) is applied at the
insertion point and continues to apply just the same as if you had started
typing at the end of some text that was bold or italic. Unless you "turn
off" specific formatting, it continues in effect. If, as Graham suggests,
you press Ctrl+Spacebar before you start typing after the field (or,
preferably, with the field selected), you should have no problem.

Otyokwa wrote:
I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit
citation and put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to static
text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and
click the set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling or
grammar" box. I must do this every time after I do steps 1-4. The
language is set to English and it is not checked before I do steps
1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word
version is involved?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I
insert a citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit
citation to place a page number and finally convert citation to
static text the spell check stops checking. I then have to go to
the review ribbon and click on the set language tab because the
box by the "Do not check spelling or grammar" will then be checked.
I then unclick the box and spell check will work fine until the
next time I do the above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert
to text). I have tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have
gone into the registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a
new proofing tools registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Otyokwa Otyokwa is offline

I am sorry but I don't understand. This seems like a glitch in the software.
Why in the world would it automatically stop spell checking my entire
document just because I inserted a citation? I did not tell it not to check
spelling. So what does this have to do with the citation?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit
citation and put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to static
text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and
click the set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling or
grammar" box. I must do this every time after I do steps 1-4. The
language is set to English and it is not checked before I do steps
1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word
version is involved?

Otyokwa wrote:
I am having a problem with spell check. It works fine until I
insert a citation into the paper. If I Insert a citation then edit
citation to place a page number and finally convert citation to
static text the spell check stops checking. I then have to go to
the review ribbon and click on the set language tab because the
box by the "Do not check spelling or grammar" will then be checked.
I then unclick the box and spell check will work fine until the
next time I do the above insert citation steps (inserteditconvert
to text). I have tried to repair word and it doesn't work. I have
gone into the registry and deleted the proofing tools so it made a
new proofing tools registry all to no avail.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's a limitation of the function, which inserts citations with the spell
check formatting option switched off. Any formatting option applied to text
remains for any text you continue to type until you change the option.
CTRL+Space will reapply the underlying paragraph style thus restoring the
spell check.

If you add citations later, only the citations will have the spell check
switched off.

Otyokwa wrote:
I am using Word 2007. The steps:
1. I quote something from say a journal article
2. On the References ribbon I "Insert Citation"
3. Once citation is inserted into paper, I right click to edit
citation and put in a page number of the quote.
4. I finally right click on citation and "convert citation to
static text".
5. When I do the above I then have to go to the review ribbon and
click the set language tab and unclick the "do not check spelling
or grammar" box. I must do this every time after I do steps 1-4.
The language is set to English and it is not checked before I do
steps 1-4.
Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

List the steps (exactly) that creates this problem and which Word