Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default Difference between web layout view and normal view

I've been using the web layout view lately, and had forgotten that there was
a normal view. I like web layout because it looks a lot like outline view,
which I've been using, but I get too distracted with the various formatting
marks in outline view.

I had a look at normal view today, and I couldn't really tell any difference
between web layout and normal view. I looked web layout up in the Word Help
files, and all I got was this, that I'm not sure I understand:
In Web layout view, backgrounds are visible, text is wrapped to fit the
window, and graphics are positioned just as they are in a Web browser.

For normal view, I read:
In normal view, page boundaries, headers and footers, backgrounds, drawing
objects, and pictures that do not have the In line with text wrapping style
do not appear.

Anyways, what I want is "outline view" without the formatting marks in front
of the headers that distract me (which is why I've been using web layout
view). Is there a good reason why I should switch to normal view, or stick
with web layout? When I'm in Word, I never make html--I have Kompozer for
that.

--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003
XP Home
Dell Inspiron 1501
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The main difference is that Web Layout view wraps to the window. Normal view
doesn't do this by default, though you can choose the "Wrap to window"
option in Tools | Options | View. When it is not enabled, Normal view wraps
the text at the margin width. The chief difference, though, is that Web
Layout view is intended to give a preview of how a document would look in a
Web browser (that is, as a Web page), whereas Normal view is based on a
printed document (though it doesn't show everything that will print).

In my view, the best of both worlds currently is Print Layout view with
white space between pages hidden. You still get a continuous flow of text
(without header and footer), but you can see objects in the drawing layer as
well.

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Thanks for the reply. I did notice yesterday in formal view that I got one
or two dotted lines running across the screen--which I took to be a hard page
return. I see less of that in web layout, so I think I'll stick with that.
I just want text as far as the eye can see.....

I was just wondering if there was something intrinsic to web layout that
would make me regret creating and saving Word documents in this...like some
formatting code that would make me have to go back and change it in each of
these documents... I dunno, just trying to anticipate problems.
--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003
XP Home