Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Default Styles won't stick

I'm working on a text, based on a template that I started in Normal, and then saved as a separate template. I cannot
get all of the styles to stick. I've been trying to set the FootnoteText style to font size 10, with a light grey shading.
It keeps defaulting to my old Normal size 12 with dark gray shading.
Hellllllllp!

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which version of Word is this? How are you modifying the style?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I'm working on a text, based on a template that I started in Normal, and
then saved as a separate template. I cannot
get all of the styles to stick. I've been trying to set the FootnoteText
style to font size 10, with a light grey shading.
It keeps defaulting to my old Normal size 12 with dark gray shading.
Hellllllllp!

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Word XP.

I modify by opening up the style dialog, clicking on "save to template" and then going in and modifying the Font attributes.
It's working for my other styles -- just not for footnotes. Although -- I DID have success at changing the shading color.
But I still can't change to 10-point font. It stays at 12-points.

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:06:44 +0200, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Which version of Word is this? How are you modifying the style?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
.. .
I'm working on a text, based on a template that I started in Normal, and
then saved as a separate template. I cannot
get all of the styles to stick. I've been trying to set the FootnoteText
style to font size 10, with a light grey shading.
It keeps defaulting to my old Normal size 12 with dark gray shading.
Hellllllllp!

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There could be direct formatting applied to the footnotes, overriding the
font formatting of the style. In Normal view, click View | Footnotes. Select
the footnote area and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to reset font formatting. The
correct font size should now be applied to text.

Then use Find and Replace to reapply the Footnote Reference character style
to the footnote number: Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog
box.

Find what: ^f

Place the insertion point inside the "Replace with" box and click Format,
Style. Locate Footnote Reference, and click OK.

Finally, click Replace All.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

wrote:

Which version of Word is this? How are you modifying the style?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
. ..
I'm working on a text, based on a template that I started in Normal, and
then saved as a separate template. I cannot
get all of the styles to stick. I've been trying to set the
FootnoteText
style to font size 10, with a light grey shading.
It keeps defaulting to my old Normal size 12 with dark gray shading.
Hellllllllp!

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Hi Stephan -- this is a bit late, but a big THANK YOU! I didn't know that direct formatting could override an automatic
style. I also learned about ^f. So the Footnote Reference style controls the style of the Footnote Text? Is that why the
style for Footnote Text doesn't show up in the Styles drop-down box?

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:03:19 +0200, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

There could be direct formatting applied to the footnotes, overriding the
font formatting of the style. In Normal view, click View | Footnotes. Select
the footnote area and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to reset font formatting. The
correct font size should now be applied to text.

Then use Find and Replace to reapply the Footnote Reference character style
to the footnote number: Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog
box.

Find what: ^f

Place the insertion point inside the "Replace with" box and click Format,
Style. Locate Footnote Reference, and click OK.

Finally, click Replace All.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

No, the Footnote Text paragraph style defines the font and paragraph
formatting of the footnote text. The Footnote Reference character style
defines the font formatting of the footnote reference mark both in the
footnotes and in the body of the document. By default, it is defined as
Default Paragraph Font + Superscript. Neither of these styles is listed in
the style list by default, though you can change the style visibility in the
Styles and Formatting task pane using Custom, and you can force the Styles
dropdown to display all styles by pressing Shift while clicking the down
arrow.

wrote:

There could be direct formatting applied to the footnotes, overriding the
font formatting of the style. In Normal view, click View | Footnotes.
Select
the footnote area and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to reset font formatting. The
correct font size should now be applied to text.

Then use Find and Replace to reapply the Footnote Reference character
style
to the footnote number: Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace
dialog
box.

Find what: ^f

Place the insertion point inside the "Replace with" box and click Format,
Style. Locate Footnote Reference, and click OK.

Finally, click Replace All.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

On Word XP, where do I find "CUSTOM" so that Footnote Text will show by default as a style?

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sun, 4 May 2008 18:57:23 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the Footnote Text paragraph style defines the font and paragraph
formatting of the footnote text. The Footnote Reference character style
defines the font formatting of the footnote reference mark both in the
footnotes and in the body of the document. By default, it is defined as
the style list by default, though you can change the style visibility in the
Styles and Formatting task pane using Custom, and you can force the Styles
dropdown to display all styles by pressing Shift while clicking the down
arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

In the Styles and Formatting task pane, at the bottom, is a dropdown box
from which you can select Available styles, Styles in use, All styles (which
is a joke), and Custom. Choosing Custom opens the Format Settings dialog, in
which you can set visibility.

wrote:

No, the Footnote Text paragraph style defines the font and paragraph
formatting of the footnote text. The Footnote Reference character style
defines the font formatting of the footnote reference mark both in the
footnotes and in the body of the document. By default, it is defined as
the style list by default, though you can change the style visibility in
the
Styles and Formatting task pane using Custom, and you can force the Styles
dropdown to display all styles by pressing Shift while clicking the down
arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

I found that. It helps a little bit.

I use a lot of Find/Replace with styles and highlighting -- the dialog box for Find Styles / replace styles has every style
listed. That's the one I'd like to truncate. Is that possible?

I'd also like a shortcut on to find by highlighting. Like a control+___ something. I can find/replace italics and underline
by control+I, or ^u. Do you know of a way to get a keyboard shortcut to find/replace highlighting? Thanks.

Word XP.

BTW, I use the menu bar dialog boxes for formatting and styles. I don't use the pane on the right-hand side. Old eyes --
need all the screen space for these LARGE fonts now. ;-)

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Mon, 5 May 2008 17:20:13 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In the Styles and Formatting task pane, at the bottom, is a dropdown box
from which you can select Available styles, Styles in use, All styles (which
is a joke), and Custom. Choosing Custom opens the Format Settings dialog, in
which you can set visibility.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I don't (often) use the task pane, either, but when you set the style
visibility for the task pane, you're also setting it for the Styles dropdown
(which by default shows "Styles in use"). I don't think there's any way to
crop the list in the Find and Replace dialogs; that's one you should want to
be complete, I think (though if you could force it with Shift, that would
serve as well).

There's not a built-in keyboard shortcut for highlighting, but it may be
that if you assign one it would work in the F&R dialog as well. I suspect it
would, as I have changed the shortcut for small caps from Ctrl+Shift+K to
Ctrl+K (I swapped with Hyperlink), and when I press Ctrl+K in the Find
dialog, I get Format: Small Caps. Whether it would work as a toggle or not,
I'm not sure.