Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kokomojo Kokomojo is offline

Default Word 2007 - Selection Mode and EXT

When one right-clicks on the Word 2007 Status Bar, there is "Selection Mode"
in the list of options. What does this do?

Also, what happened to the EXT (Extend Selection) that as in Word 2003?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Kokomojo wrote:
When one right-clicks on the Word 2007 Status Bar, there is
"Selection Mode" in the list of options. What does this do?

Also, what happened to the EXT (Extend Selection) that as in Word
2003?

Thanks!

When the "Selection Mode" item is checked in the status bar menu, the words
"Extend Selection" will appear in the status bar whenever extended selection
mode is active. If that item isn't checked, there isn't any visible
indication of the selection mode.

As in previous versions, you can turn on extended selection mode by pressing
F8. After the first press, using the arrow keys or pressing any letter,
digit, or punctuation will extend the selection. Pressing F8 repeatedly
extends it to the current word, sentence, paragraph, section, and document.
Pressing ESC or clicking the words "Extend Selection" in the status bar
turns extended selection mode off.

The main difference from Word 2003 is that, unlike the EXT, the words
"Extend Selection" don't appear when extended selection mode is turned off,
so you can't turn it on by double-clicking in the status bar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle Mathews Michelle Mathews is offline

The Selection Mode is the EXT mode from Word 2003. Turn on Selection Mode
from the status bar and use the arrow keys to extend the selection. When you
turn this on you will see Extend Selection appear in the Status Bar.
Alternatively press F8 and use the arrow keys to extend the selection.
--
Regards

Michelle Mathews
MCT, MCASI, MMI, IC3 AI, JEB TDip ITS, JEB TDip ITA, MITBTI

"Kokomojo" wrote:

When one right-clicks on the Word 2007 Status Bar, there is "Selection Mode"
in the list of options. What does this do?

Also, what happened to the EXT (Extend Selection) that as in Word 2003?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kokomojo Kokomojo is offline

That's not exactly true. I do not see Extend Selection in the Status Bar in
Word 2007 at home or at work.

In Word 2003, when one activated the EXT mode, it REPLACED the need to use
the arrow keys. One simply clicked on the mouse to begin the selection and
clicked further into the document to EXTend the selection.

Thanks for replying.

"Kokomojo" wrote:

When one right-clicks on the Word 2007 Status Bar, there is "Selection Mode"
in the list of options. What does this do?

Also, what happened to the EXT (Extend Selection) that as in Word 2003?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kokomojo Kokomojo is offline

Thank you, Suzanne, for replying.

Yes, of course I've tried this. If I hold the shift key, I can extend the
selection with the mouse.

What I'm talking about is simply turning on EXTend selection. You click
once at the beginning of the text selection with the mouse, you click once at
the end of the text selection. No shift key is necessary. In Word 2003, the
EXT replaced the Shift key.

I am still seeing nothing on my Word 2007 Status Bar when I check Selection
Mode. I see other things like Insert/Overtype, Spelling and Grammar Check,
Zoom, Caps Lock, etc. I'm baffled.

"Kokomojo" wrote:

When one right-clicks on the Word 2007 Status Bar, there is "Selection
Mode"
in the list of options. What does this do?

Also, what happened to the EXT (Extend Selection) that as in Word 2003?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are correct that EXT is not available for turning Extend Selection on;
for that you need F8. But once it is on, you will see Extend Selection in
the Status Bar, and you can select text by clicking the mouse just as you
describe. Double-clicking on Extend Selection turns the mode off. I wonder
if it was just an oversight that no way of turning it on via the Status Bar
was provided.