Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf sf is offline

Default disable macros - Word 2003?

My biggest use of Word is to file recipes. I copy recipes from the
internet and use paste special unformatted text, but lately some
documents have an exclamation mark next to the icon. How can I
disable macros in Word 2003? I've looked at tools macros... but I
don't see anything that would help me. Perhaps I should open NotePad
and copy each offending doc into it, but I was hoping for a global fix
that is faster than the case by case method.

TIA
sf
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What is the relevance of macros and your paste issue? Paste special doesn't
use macros.
Unformatted text is exactly that - unformatted text.

sf wrote:
My biggest use of Word is to file recipes. I copy recipes from the
internet and use paste special unformatted text, but lately some
documents have an exclamation mark next to the icon. How can I
disable macros in Word 2003? I've looked at tools macros... but I
don't see anything that would help me. Perhaps I should open NotePad
and copy each offending doc into it, but I was hoping for a global fix
that is faster than the case by case method.

TIA
sf

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hmm, the icon for a *Word 2007 template* does have an exclamation point in
its icon. If you are also running Word 2007, or if you have installed the
compatibility pack, that would explain why you can open such a file. It has
nothing to do with pasting as unformatted text, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sf" wrote in message

My biggest use of Word is to file recipes. I copy recipes from the
internet and use paste special unformatted text, but lately some
documents have an exclamation mark next to the icon. How can I
disable macros in Word 2003? I've looked at tools macros... but I
don't see anything that would help me. Perhaps I should open NotePad
and copy each offending doc into it, but I was hoping for a global fix
that is faster than the case by case method.

TIA
sf

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Sure sounds like the documents are templates.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"sf" wrote in message

My biggest use of Word is to file recipes. I copy recipes from the
internet and use paste special unformatted text, but lately some
documents have an exclamation mark next to the icon. How can I
disable macros in Word 2003? I've looked at tools macros... but I
don't see anything that would help me. Perhaps I should open NotePad
and copy each offending doc into it, but I was hoping for a global fix
that is faster than the case by case method.

TIA
sf

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf sf is offline

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:41:10 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

Hmm, the icon for a *Word 2007 template* does have an exclamation point in
its icon. If you are also running Word 2007, or if you have installed the
compatibility pack, that would explain why you can open such a file. It has
nothing to do with pasting as unformatted text, though.

I read something about Word 2007 when I researched the exclamation
point. I went to "About Word" and it said 2003. I do remember a time
when I fiddled around for some reason. I don't remember what I did or
why and it was months ago anyway. This ! has only been appearing in
the last few days. I went to my folder file and resaved the doc as
a txt file, but a ! also appears next to the text icon.

Looking in Add/Remove programs, I do have a compatibility pack for
Office 2007 first installed in 4-2009 and last updated 6-10-09, so
that doesn't explain why the ! is only appearing now. I read
somewhere that the ! is supposed to indicate a macro. If it doesn't,
how do I convert those W! icons back to regular Word Doc icons?

TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf sf is offline

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:45:18 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

What is the relevance of macros and your paste issue? Paste special doesn't
use macros.
Unformatted text is exactly that - unformatted text.

OK - if I don't have a macro in hiding, how do I explain the W! in my
list of otherwise plain vanilla W iconed Word Docs?

TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What you have been told is a slight misinterpretation. The Exclamation mark
indicates that it is a MACRO-ENABLED, a .dotm or a .docm file rather than a
..dotx or .docx file. It does not actually mean it has a macro saved with it.

Terry

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf sf is offline

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:21:17 +0100, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

What you have been told is a slight misinterpretation. The Exclamation mark
indicates that it is a MACRO-ENABLED, a .dotm or a .docm file rather than a
.dotx or .docx file. It does not actually mean it has a macro saved with it.

OK, thanks. Maybe I took what you said too literally, but looking at
the file extension - the offending Word Docs end as .doc with no m
following them. How do I disable macros for the docs (and .txt) with
a ! in Word 2003?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sf sf is offline

I tried re-saving as doc and even dot, but that darned ! is still
there. http://i30.tinypic.com/11vgm7s.jpg as you can see, they are
just plain doc and dot - not dotm or docm. This is driving me nuts!

TIA
```````````````````````

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:25:46 +0100, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

SaveAs and choose .doc or .docx format.

Terry

.. .
wrote:

What you have been told is a slight misinterpretation. The Exclamation
mark
indicates that it is a MACRO-ENABLED, a .dotm or a .docm file rather than
.dotx or .docx file. It does not actually mean it has a macro saved with
it.

OK, thanks. Maybe I took what you said too literally, but looking at
the file extension - the offending Word Docs end as .doc with no m
following them. How do I disable macros for the docs (and .txt) with
a ! in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /r

and press Enter. Does that change the icons? If not, trying running REPAIR
from the Help menu in Word. If that fails, then I can only guess that you
have corrupted something in the registry.

Terry

news

wrote:

SaveAs and choose .doc or .docx format.