Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Vet Tech Vet Tech is offline

Default Link Paste to templates

My problems are this:

I want to use "paste link" to ensure any updates in the source
documents gets reflected in any documents that have the link
pasted.

The way I have things set up at present is to have many 'group'
documents ( effectively templates) that staff use. These documents are
linked back to a few documents containing standard paragraphs.
However these 'group' documents need to be read only to stop staff
saving their clients individual names and addresses or any other
document revisions.

However because they are read only, it is not possible to save any
changes that I may make to the source paragraph document. There must
be a way to manage source documents and group documents in Word that
will overcome this.

The second problem I have is that any document with a link has an
annoying message advising you of the link when you open it, would
like to remove this.

Tahanks
VT
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Any document that you allow your users to see is theirs to do with as they
wish. You can only prevent users from saving the original document at its
original location, not material copied from it.

I don't believe it is possible to fix your second problem either. If you
want the documents to automatically update then the warning message is a
consequence of using links. A possible alternative would be to use
includetext fields, which don't automatically update, but you could add a
macro to update them - eg the sample code at