Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Blip Blip is offline

Default Adding to TOC

I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing their own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do this? I
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice here.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=148
("Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents").

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Blip" wrote in message
I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing their
own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main
headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do this? I
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Blip Blip is offline

Thank you Stefan. I had seen another article similar to this one which I had
difficulties with. What happens is when I press Alt F9, nothing happens. When
I press Cntrol F9, the brackets appear, however when I try to type inside
them the whole thing disappears. So I have been stumped there with both
solutions. I have Vista - would that be the problem at all as it seems many
things don't work properly with Vista (forgive my skepticism please).
what to do?

"Blip" wrote in message
I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing their
own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main
headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do this? I
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Certain fields are formatted as hidden (RD fields belong to this category),
so you must choose to display hidden text before you can work with them. I
should have mentioned this earlier, but since I keep hidden text displayed
at all times I tend not to think about it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Blip" wrote in message
I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing
their
own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main
headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do this?
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Blip Blip is offline

....um. How do I choose to display hidden text in abc language? My expertise
is very basic I'm afraid. If I do do this - will the problem of the
disappearing brackets be fixed?

"Blip" wrote in message
I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing
their
own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main
headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do this?
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Press the Pilcrow tool (the ΒΆ character) to reveal all the hidden
non-printing characters.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Blip" wrote in message
I am still new to TOCs. I have several documents already containing
their
own
separate TOCs however in the first of these I wish to add the main
headings
of all the other doc's TOCs. (The primary headings). How do I do
this?
tried to do it manually but am stuck. Would appreciate any advice
here.

adding new row trevorlpo Microsoft Word Help 1 August 17th 08 11:56 PM
Adding My Own Templates BRob New Users 3 July 24th 08 10:14 AM
adding pics chordaeus Microsoft Word Help 4 July 26th 06 02:09 PM
Adding "USA" Rim Mailmerge 1 May 25th 05 08:07 PM
Adding second TOC or TOF RedGlide Tables 2 November 2nd 04 07:31 PM