Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

Default Watermark in a Section?

Word 2007.
Is it possible to add a watermark to a section rather than the whole page?
(I've tried and I can't get it to work....)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Gordon wrote:
Word 2007.
Is it possible to add a watermark to a section rather than the whole
page? (I've tried and I can't get it to work....)

Yes, it's possible, but Word doesn't make it obvious.

First you need to know what the Watermark button is doing behind the scenes.
A watermark is (and has been in all versions of Word) only an image anchored
in a header (http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm).

Next you need to know that when your document contains two or more sections,
by default each new section repeats the header of the preceding section.
There's a "Link to Previous" button on the Header/Footer ribbon to turn this
off (or turn it back on). Each header and footer (regular, first page, even
page) in each section can be individually linked or not linked to the
corresponding one in the preceding section.

To get the watermark -- or anything else in a header or footer -- to apply
only to one section, you must first unlink the header/footer of that section
from the one before it, and unlink the one after the current section from
this one. For example, if you have a three-section document and you want a
watermark only in section 2, you have to go to the section 2 header and
unlink it from section 1, _and_ you have to go to the header of section 3
and unlink it from section 2. Only then can you insert the watermark and not
see it in sections 1 and 3. (Or... you could insert the watermark first,
then unlink the headers, and finally go to sections 1 and 3 to delete the
unwanted watermarks there. That's more work.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman