Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Deleting page numbers and starting again

I have a six-page document that I have written (Office 2000). I didn't like
the look of the page numbers were I placed them, so I tried re-inserting
them again. Now, for some reason, page "2" appears on every page. I know
that I can get around this using text boxes to insert the correct page
numbers where I want them, but is there a way to undo the insertion of page
numbers so that one can start all over again?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

View | Header and Footer. This will open the header pane. If the page
numbers are in the footer, use the Switch Between Header and Footer button
on the Header and Footer toolbar to move to the footer (if you're working in
Print Layout view, and the header or footer contains content, you can open
it by double-clicking in it). Select the page number (including the frame it
will be inserted in if you used Insert | Page Numbers) and delete it (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm for more on
this).

Then use the Insert Page Number button on the toolbar to insert the page
number in the desired location in the header or footer (using paragraph
alignment or the built-in tab stops to position the number as desired). This
will insert the PAGE field (what you may have done before was just type the
number as text), which will change on every page. You can format the page
number as desired using the ordinary font formatting tools or you can modify
the Page Number character style.

For more on headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Gordon Biggar" wrote in message
I have a six-page document that I have written (Office 2000). I didn't
like the look of the page numbers were I placed them, so I tried
re-inserting them again. Now, for some reason, page "2" appears on every
page. I know that I can get around this using text boxes to insert the
correct page numbers where I want them, but is there a way to undo the
insertion of page numbers so that one can start all over again?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

"So simple, even a child can do it!"

You are correct, I was using the Insert route to make the corrections - to
no avail.

Many thanks, Alabama. We're off and running again.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas