Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

A couple of days ago, I started getting this error message

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sometimes it will pop up twice, sometimes 3 times.

I did a search on this phrase and found articles on Lotus Notes and
Mail Merge. I have never used Notes. I have never used Mail Merge on
this PC.

I'm running Office 2007 on Win XP. I believe I have all the latest
updates.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

Hi there! It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with Word not being able to start the converter mswrd632.wpc. This can be a frustrating problem, but there are a few things you can try to resolve it.

First, it's important to understand what the mswrd632.wpc converter is. This is a converter that allows Word to open documents that were created in an earlier version of Word, specifically Word 6.0, Word 95, Word 97, and Word 2000. If you're trying to open a document that was created in one of these earlier versions of Word, you may encounter this error message.

Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. 1. Check for updates: Make sure you have all the latest updates for Office 2007 installed. You can do this by opening Word, clicking on the Office button in the top left corner, and selecting "Word Options." From there, click on "Resources" and then "Check for Updates." Follow the prompts to install any available updates.

    2. Disable the mswrd632.wpc converter: If you're not trying to open a document created in an earlier version of Word, you may be able to resolve the issue by disabling the mswrd632.wpc converter. To do this, open Word and click on the Office button in the top left corner. Select "Word Options" and then click on "Advanced." Scroll down to the "General" section and then click on the "File Block Settings" button. Look for "Word 6.0/95" in the list of file types and make sure it's set to "Open." If it's set to "Save," change it to "Open." Click "OK" to save your changes.

    3. Convert the document to a newer format: If you're trying to open a document created in an earlier version of Word, you may be able to resolve the issue by converting the document to a newer format. To do this, open the document in the earlier version of Word, click on the Office button, and select "Save As." Choose a newer file format, such as .docx or .docm, and save the document. You should now be able to open the document in Word 2007 without encountering the mswrd632.wpc error.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

See
http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenote...6-0-files.aspx

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
A couple of days ago, I started getting this error message

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sometimes it will pop up twice, sometimes 3 times.

I did a search on this phrase and found articles on Lotus Notes and
Mail Merge. I have never used Notes. I have never used Mail Merge on
this PC.

I'm running Office 2007 on Win XP. I believe I have all the latest
updates.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Danny[_3_] Danny[_3_] is offline

Thanks for the link - I'm having the same problem. I tried to make the registry change described in the article, but did not have Wordpad at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\Applets\Wordpad

Have you seen anything else that helped with this problem?

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Matthew[_6_] Matthew[_6_] is offline

The cause of this error, for myself, has had nothing to do with Wordpad. When opening an Office '07 file in Office '03, with the compatibility pack installed on the system, this error is cropping up. The '07 files would open fine up to a couple days ago, so all the right software is on the machine.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:53:10 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

See
http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenote...6-0-files.aspx

This article asks me to make a Registry change. I'd really rather not
do that. Is there any other fix?

This article says it may be caused by a security update. I suggest
MSFT needs to send out another update to fix the update. And then
actually do a little testing BEFORE they ship the updates. This is the
second time in a year or so that an update broke something that I know
of.

The error only seems to happen when I open a .doc document. I'm
running Office 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

See
http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenote...6-0-files.aspx

This article asks me to make a Registry change. I'd really rather not
do that. Is there any other fix?

This article says it may be caused by a security update. I suggest
MSFT needs to send out another update to fix the update. And then
actually do a little testing BEFORE they ship the updates. This is the
second time in a year or so that an update broke something that I know
of.

The error only seems to happen when I open a .doc document. I'm
running Office 2007.

Sam, did you read the KnowledgeBase article linked from that page? This
isn't an error, it's deliberate; Microsoft wants to prevent you from using
the old WordPad converter because it isn't secure. The registry change is
intended for administrators who consider using the converter more important
than closing the security hole, at least temporarily. Also, because it's a
deliberate change, there is never going to be "another fix" for the security
update.

But your problem is a bit different from what the articles describe. You're
trying to open a .doc file in Word 2007, which should have nothing to do
with WordPad or the old converter. What's happened is that Windows has
associated the .doc extension with WordPad instead of Word. If the security
patch hadn't been applied, the document would have opened in WordPad (which
can also read the .doc format), and you would have been complaining about
that instead. ;-)

Run the winword /r command as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm and see if that
fixes the problem.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

wrote:

See
http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenote...6-0-files.aspx

This article asks me to make a Registry change. I'd really rather not
do that. Is there any other fix?

This article says it may be caused by a security update. I suggest
MSFT needs to send out another update to fix the update. And then
actually do a little testing BEFORE they ship the updates. This is the
second time in a year or so that an update broke something that I know
of.

The error only seems to happen when I open a .doc document. I'm
running Office 2007.

Sam, did you read the KnowledgeBase article linked from that page?

Nope.

[...]

I pretty sure the .doc extension is associated with Word. If I
double-click a .doc file, it opens in Word, always has. I just tested
it again.

Run the winword /r command as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm and see if that
fixes the problem.

Do I need to close Word (all open docs) first?

Do you still think I need to do this even though .doc files are
already associated with Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

[...]

PS: If this is "deliberate", then the left hand doesn't know what
right hand is doing. When the error pops up, there's a help button,
which says nothing about security or Notepad or anything else useful:

This message can appear if:

* The converter was not properly registered.

* The converter was inadvertently deleted without removing the
registry information.

* The converter support files are corrupt.

* The converter installation was removed and the uninstall tool did
not finish clearing the registry settings.

* The hard disk is damaged where the converter files were stored.

Usually, reinstalling the converter will overcome this problem. If the
converter reports that it is already installed, first uninstall it so
that the setup program can remove the files and registry settings.

If removing and reinstalling the converter is not successful, there
may be a problem with a resource on the computer (for example, an
executable file that is needed to properly register the converters on
the computer has failed or stopped running). In this case, it is best
to turn off the computer and start over.

I particularly like the last suggestion. I would only change it to
"turn the computer off and throw it out the window".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

[...]

OK, maybe I'm wrong about the association -- but if so, I don't understand
how the WordPad converter could get involved in the process. I still think
reregistering Word is worth a try; it's quick, and at worst it won't have
any effect.

Run the winword /r command as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm and see
if that fixes the problem.

Do I need to close Word (all open docs) first?

Yes, close all open documents and shut down Word. Then run the command from
the Start Run box or from a command prompt window.

Do you still think I need to do this even though .doc files are
already associated with Word?

It can't hurt, and it might help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

wrote:

[...]

OK. I ran "winword /r" from the DOS box. It took about 30 seconds to
do something. I then tried opening a .doc document. The first 2 I
tried opened without any problems. The third one got the same error.

It didn't happen every time before. I thought it was intermittent, but
apparently it is just certain documents. I now have 2-3 that do not
get the error and 2-3 that do. That is consistent.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

[...]

PS: We have two PCs in the office connected by a P2P LAN. I have a
laptop and my admin has a workstation. They have identical software
installed and run the same auto-update facility installed and
maintained by the company that procides tech support.

I just copied one of the documents that fails on my PC to the
workstation and opened it in Word there. No error.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob[_7_] Bob[_7_] is offline

I am also getting the above error message when I try to run mail merge from full Outlook to word label document for my Christmas cards. Hope we can find a fix before I have to hand address them.
Bob

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:45:10 -0800, Bob / wrote:

I am also getting the above error message when I try to run mail merge from full Outlook to word label document for my Christmas cards. Hope we can find a fix before I have to hand address them.
Bob

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Several articles mentioned this being a problem with mail merge, which
I never use. If I recall correctly, they recommended reinstalling the
converter.

I know you really didn't want to send cards to all those ghoofy
relatices anyway. Now you have a good excuse. ;-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Flip[_2_] Flip[_2_] is offline

Hello,
Removing the patch from the software did it for us sofar, it's KB973904.
Just have to await if it comes back with new updates.
Flip

"Sesquipedalian Sam" schreef in bericht
A couple of days ago, I started getting this error message

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sometimes it will pop up twice, sometimes 3 times.

I did a search on this phrase and found articles on Lotus Notes and
Mail Merge. I have never used Notes. I have never used Mail Merge on
this PC.

I'm running Office 2007 on Win XP. I believe I have all the latest
updates.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
InfinitiDC InfinitiDC is offline

Thanks for the advice.
However, I did not have wordpad in the subdirectory-any other
suggestions?

wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Bob, I'm having the exact same problems with my Christmas cards using outlook mailmerge. Have you found a way round the problem, or did you end up doing them by hand?

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OK! OK! is offline

I am running Windows XP and don't have WordPad in that location. What should I do?

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
wheat wheat is offline

We're having it with our ERP app, Datatel Colleague, which launches Word (we're running 2007 on WinXP) during certain processes.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See the Known Issues section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 and
change the 1 to 0

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Derek" / wrote in message
Bob, I'm having the exact same problems with my Christmas cards using
outlook mailmerge. Have you found a way round the problem, or did you end
up doing them by hand?

---
frmsrcurl:
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

I tried to edit the registry as described under 973904 but there is not a \wordpad directory under applets.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could add it and then create the described entry.
Have you tried simply uninstalling the 973904 update? This will also put
back the older mswrd632.wpc file that the update replaced.

"Derek" / wrote in message
I tried to edit the registry as described under 973904 but there is not a
\wordpad directory under applets.

---
frmsrcurl:
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Remove the security update (MS09-073) that caused the problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote:

[...]

so
all may benefit.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That was the very first help I sent them too. So surely they have followed
and uninstalled it already?

Terry

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Thanks, Graham. I added the wordpad directory as you suggested and the entry as described in 973904. I can now mailmerge correctly from Outlook.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
josh josh is offline

Doug,

I have removed KB973904 which you requested and still having the issue. I
cannot open a 97-2003 file in my office 2007. I can though go file, open and
choose recover text from any file and it will open but adds a bunch of
characters. I even tried open office which someone requested might work but
it didn't. I did not have the registry entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion

\Applets\Wordpad

I did create it and changed it from 0 to 1 and it would open but with alot
of characters added to make it really non readable. I even tried winword /r
and still no luck. Has there been a fix for this????????????????

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M McAllister M McAllister is offline

Don't believe everything you read. Wordpad was/is not my default for .doc
files. Word 2007 is.

This error came up for me in Microsoft Accounting when I tried to print to
my Word Template for my invoices.

I applied this fix by modifying the registry........I added the Wordpad key
under applets and then added the AllowConversion and now all is well.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Grup Grup is offline

I had the similar problem, with a 3rd party software program called PPM that
uses Word. I re-installed Word and problem solved. The patch 973904 is
still on the computer.
--
Rich

"Josh" wrote:

"Danny" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Flip[_2_] Flip[_2_] is offline

Hello Josh,
Did you try simply going back to a system restore point?
This worked fine for us.
Flip

"Josh" schreef in bericht

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
josh josh is offline

"Flip" wrote:

Hello Josh,
Did you try simply going back to a system restore point?
This worked fine for us.
Flip

FLIP,

We cant do a system restore on our domain as its blocked by group policy so
there is no way for us to try that. There must be another way though to get
this working but it seems i have tried everything.

Josh
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GK GK is offline

New Here & Im really not sure what to do! I run xp and have the same
troubles with the converter "mswrd632" when I try to print labels from
Outlook with Prowiter which puts them to Word. But Im not a programer but I
got into the regeit and also did not find the wordpad. So how do I add it?
And there was a post just before this talking about uninstalling the 973904
update what is this and how do I uninstall it or even find it? also called a
patch maybe? Any help would be great as I to have Christmas & wedding labels
to make up. Thank You.

"Derek" wrote:

Thanks, Graham. I added the wordpad directory as you suggested and the entry as described in 973904. I can now mailmerge correctly from Outlook.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Run the Windows Control Panel add or remove programs. Check the box at the
top of the dialog to show updates. Locate the update 973904 and uninstall
it..

"Derek" wrote:

Thanks, Graham. I added the wordpad directory as you suggested and the
entry as described in 973904. I can now mailmerge correctly from
Outlook.

---
frmsrcurl:
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Monelle Monelle is offline

Using Word 2003, I cannot open a .doc file created in 2002 using Word, not WordPad. I get the message "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc." I also cannot open it with WordPad, and running "winword /r" did nothing. I also made the correction in regedit. The message no longer appears, but all I get is still a page full of y's. Help!!!

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
evil evil is offline

...and people continue to claim that windows is a superior operating system.

I have a workgroup of 32 windows computers with this problem. Thanks, Microshaft.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Grrrrr Grrrrr is offline

And I have many, many more affected users. Looks like I'll be sending PDF files to customers instead of Word docs from now on!

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
evil03mustang evil03mustang is offline

@ doug - excellent!

Thank you very much, that should take care of it!

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David[_11_] David[_11_] is offline

i found that my problem was actaually a .docx file that was saved(or renamed) to .doc renaming teh extestio properly fixed it.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...r-mswrd632.wpc