Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nerfemail@gmail.com is offline

Default help with cross-reference

Hi,

I'm working on a big document and I need to know if there is a faster way to
insert cross-reference links.

On every chapter (H1), I insert a list of of sub-headers (H2). It looks like
this:
-----------------------------
1. Chapter One
- Section 1.1 "title" on page 99
-----------------------------

What I am currently doing is, "insert reference cross-reference ".
Then select the target heading, with "heading number", then the same for
header text and header page. This takes a long time, as i have to scroll the
list of headers (long) for each of the three components of each reference.

Is there any way of inserting all three components with a single click (or
faster than what I am doing now?

Basically, I would like to say:
- insert reference link to heading 1.1 and it would automatically output "-
Section 1.1 "title" on page 99", where "1.1" is the header number, "title" is
the title text and "99" is the header page number

thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, there is no way to cross-reference heading text, heading number,
and page number without inserting three separate cross-references.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After inserting a cross reference to the paragraph number, select it and
then run a macro containing the following code

Dim fcode As Range
Dim ftext As String
Set fcode = Selection.Fields(1).Code
ftext = Replace(fcode.Text, "\r", "")
Selection.InsertBefore "- Section "
Selection.InsertAfter " " & Chr(34)
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Selection.Range, wdFieldEmpty, ftext
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Selection.InsertAfter Chr(34) & " on page "
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Selection.Range, wdFieldEmpty, Replace(ftext,
"REF", "PAGEREF")

and if the cross reference displayed 1,1, you would get

- Section 1.1 "[Heading 2 text]" on page [page number]

See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website if you do not
know what to do with the above code:

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

[...]

"-
Section 1.1 "title" on page 99", where "1.1" is the header number, "title"
is
the title text and "99" is the header page number

thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clever!

--