banquomd

Default Adding index changes page numbers

I am using Word 2002 SP3 and I have a document of about 80 pages. I also have
5 indices I want to insert at the end of the document. I am able to do this
by inserting the correct INDEX fields with the proper switches.

However, and this is the problem, the page numbers at the bottom of the
index pages are wrong. For example, if the first page of the first index is
numbered "79", then the next page is numbered "2". I can "fix" this by
clicking on the number "2" and asking that page numbers be consecutive with
the previous section. However, this does not work for the last index - it
remains page "2" even if I ask for it to be set to continious with the
previous section. This would not be so bad if it were a "one-time" fix, but I
must correct the page numbers everytime I update the index.

Is there some fix for this?

Thanks,

Stephen
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YmFucXVvbWQ=?=,

Check the section numbers in the status bar as you click in each index. Is there
a jump somewhere? (Like from 5 to 7) Chances are, you're not picking up one of
the sections, so it can't number through consecutively. You might insert some
hard page breaks between EACH section, to get each one on its own page. Then
change the setting, and after that you should be able to remove the page breaks
again.

I am using Word 2002 SP3 and I have a document of about 80 pages. I also have
5 indices I want to insert at the end of the document. I am able to do this
by inserting the correct INDEX fields with the proper switches.

However, and this is the problem, the page numbers at the bottom of the
index pages are wrong. For example, if the first page of the first index is
numbered "79", then the next page is numbered "2". I can "fix" this by
clicking on the number "2" and asking that page numbers be consecutive with
the previous section. However, this does not work for the last index - it
remains page "2" even if I ask for it to be set to continious with the
previous section. This would not be so bad if it were a "one-time" fix, but I
must correct the page numbers everytime I update the index.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)