Sean H

Default Find and Replace Alternative?

My boss just gave me a task to fill in the XXXXXX's in a generic contract
with a compnaies name that it applied to. I immediatley pressed ctrl+h to
use find and replace, but he seems to think there is another, and better,
method to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Anne Troy

Use a fill-in form, and bookmarks. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
and
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...oft_word .htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sean H" wrote in message
My boss just gave me a task to fill in the XXXXXX's in a generic contract
with a compnaies name that it applied to. I immediatley pressed ctrl+h to
use find and replace, but he seems to think there is another, and better,
method to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sean H

Thanks for the help, but those directions are quite unspecific and have some
errors. Would I want to make a form for each time the company name is
inserted? The directions do not explain how a bookmark is used, and how they
relate to forms and cross references. It is all very confusing. As far as I
understand from the directions, you type the company name once, highlight it,
make it a bookmark, and somehow the bookmark should magically fill in the
forms. But when I specify in the form properties that it should use the
bookmark "company", you can only assign that bookmark name to one form field,
and then it doesn't even fill it in anyway. Is there any way you can make
this more clear? Maybe I'll just stick with find and replace.

"Sean H" wrote in message
My boss just gave me a task to fill in the XXXXXX's in a generic contract
with a compnaies name that it applied to. I immediatley pressed ctrl+h to
use find and replace, but he seems to think there is another, and better,
method to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Anne Troy

Sean: Are you in the states? If so, email me with your phone number. I'll
call you. From everything you've said, this is EXACTLY what you need, but I
fear you're not following the directions properly because no one has ever
complained about them "not working". You'd create the form, using cross
references to the bookmarks where a specific piece of information would
repeat. Then you protect the form. You can even tab from one area to the
next.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sean H" wrote in message
My boss just gave me a task to fill in the XXXXXX's in a generic
contract
with a compnaies name that it applied to. I immediatley pressed ctrl+h
use find and replace, but he seems to think there is another, and
better,
method to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and
especially the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.
Also see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

"Sean H" wrote in message
My boss just gave me a task to fill in the XXXXXX's in a generic

contract
with a compnaies name that it applied to. I immediatley pressed

ctrl+h to
use find and replace, but he seems to think there is another, and

better,
method to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 01:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM