Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Russ

Default Adding dates in a serial fashion

I'm working with a table that spans several pages in Word 2003 in which I
want to insert dates much like a numbered list. Also, this table will have
data that will be moved around within the table. I'm looking to be able to
have the dates update automatically if they are moved around. To help
explain, here's a before-and-after example:
1 11/16/05 1
11/16/05
2 11/17/05 - if I delete this row I want - 2
11/17/05
3 11/18/05

- A two-column three-row table, as shown above; first column has a number
list 1, 2, & 3 using the autonumbering function (if that's the term for it...
it's the toolbar button)
- Second column has dates mm/dd/yy from say 11/16/05 - 11/18/05
Typically, what would happen to the number list if I were to delete row 2,
is row three would shift upwards and the list number would then become "2"
instead of "3". I'm looking for this same functionality with the dates I put
in the cells, so if I were to delete row 2 from the table, the number, date,
and contents of any other cells on that row would stay together and move up.
I hope I made my problem clear.

I've searched through all 21 pages of this forum and could not find anything
posted about this. Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Russ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman

Hi Russ,

You could spend a completely ridiculous amount of time forcing this to work
in Word with macros, and it probably would never work right anyway.

Instead, do it in Excel, which has the necessary cell formulas and
formatting controls. If you need to make it part of a Word document, copy
the Excel spreadsheet and paste-link it into Word. The hardest part is that
you'll probably have to link one page worth at a time, since Word can't
spread inserted objects across page breaks.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Russ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg

Russ,

No promises as I didn't test with your specific requirements. You
might be able to use my Date Sequencer Add-in for this purpose. See:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Date_Sequencer.htm