Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoPuk

Default Can the custom dictionary capacity be expanded?

In a long book just completed there are many words misspelled purposely for
comic effect, and quite a few displayed with diacritical marks - so many that
the spell check could not keep up. If I click on Tools - Spelling, it will
check a particular word, but for running through the book, it will not work.

The custom dictionary indicated it is full. Is there a way to expand that
dictionary's capacity?

Thanks,
Ro
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The capacity of the custom dictionary is actually quite large, and often a
message that it is full is bogus, but you can create additional custom
dictionaries and use them along with the default Custom.dic. I'm surprised
that explicitly running spell check will not work. I've had documents where
"Check spelling as you type" ceased to function because there were too many
spelling errors in the document, however.

Another approach you might take is to define a character style as Default
Paragraph Font + Do not check spelling or grammar. Apply that to the words
you don't want checked.