Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ruth Ruth is offline

Default Mail merge producing a list

I am more familiar with doing a mail merge in WordPerfect but need to also
function in Word. When doing a merge in order to simply produce a list of
names, in WordPerfect I would insert a code "Page Off" which would place all
the names on the same page instead of individual pages. Is there a similar
way to do this in Word?
--
Ruth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you mean that your merge should produce one continuous list, then in Word
you can either
a. use a "Directory" type merge (in Word 2002 or later) or
b. enable the database toolbar (Tools|Customize) and insert the data as a
single column of data, assuming it's in a format that Word can use. You can
insert either as plain text (as a one-off) or insert as a DATABASE field
which you can select and re-execute using F9 to get the latest results.

If you're trying to do a "parent-child" type merge, e.g. where you have
fields at the top of each page (say, customer info.) and an arbitrary amount
of related info on the same page, that won't be enough, but ask again.

Peter Jamieson

"Ruth" wrote in message
I am more familiar with doing a mail merge in WordPerfect but need to also
function in Word. When doing a merge in order to simply produce a list of
names, in WordPerfect I would insert a code "Page Off" which would place
all
the names on the same page instead of individual pages. Is there a similar
way to do this in Word?
--
Ruth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ruth Ruth is offline

Thanks for your response. My data is coming from our church software which
allows us to easily merge into Word. There are times I simply want to list
certain individuals after I have selected them in that database and print out
a list accordingly. The software merges well in a label also, but the only
choice I have is Avery 5160. There are times when I prefer to use a larger
label so need to set up that merge differently. When I did so (using Avery
5164) instead of merging 6 on a page, it put each individual on a separate
page.
--
Ruth

"Ruth" wrote in message
I am more familiar with doing a mail merge in WordPerfect but need to also
function in Word. When doing a merge in order to simply produce a list of
names, in WordPerfect I would insert a code "Page Off" which would place
all
the names on the same page instead of individual pages. Is there a similar
way to do this in Word?
--
Ruth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Thanks for your response. My data is coming from our church software which
allows us to easily merge into Word. There are times I simply want to list
certain individuals after I have selected them in that database and print
out
a list accordingly.

I'd say you need to try something along the following lines: in your "church
software/that database" you have some means of selecting the records you
need - e.g. you check "Yes" in some field in that database - let's say
"myfield". Then, you use Word's Select Recipients dialog box to select the
records where "myfiield" is Yes (roughly speaking).

If that is not feasible, how would you actually select the records you need?
(probably can't reply until tomorrow, UK time)

Peter Jamieson