Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gratje Gratje is offline

Default show icon from .ico file in Word doc

I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work (file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

How about InsertObjectCreate from File?

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Gratje" wrote in message
I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work
(file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Or use a graphics conversion utility such as SnagIt to convert it to a
compatible format such as GIF.

"Gratje" wrote in message
I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work
(file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gratje Gratje is offline

This is an option but I still have some editing to do to it because not only
the icon itself is inserted, but also the file name at the bottom of the
image created this way. To get rid of the file name I have to crop the image
at the bottom. For one icon this wouldn't be a problem, but in the project
I'm working on I have to do it for dozens of icons. Therefore I was hoping
there was an easier way (with less editing), but I guess this is the easiest
way to go.
Thanks for your suggestion.

"Gratje" wrote in message
I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work
(file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gratje Gratje is offline

This is an option but it requires additional editing and for the project I'm
working on, I have to do it for dozens of icons. I was hoping for an easier
way. I will try it to see what the quality of the icon will be.
Thanks for your suggestion.

"Gratje" wrote in message
I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work
(file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have SnagIt? It can batch convert files from .ico to any number of
other formats. As a test, I just converted a whole folder full of .ico files
to .jpg files.

I'm sure that SnagIt has a trial version. There are other graphics programs
that can do this as well.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Gratje" wrote in message
I have an .ico file and I want to show the icon in a word document.
Importing it as a picture via "insert picture from file" doesn't work
(file
format is not recognised). Any suggestions how I can do this?
(I'm using Office XP). Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It sounds like what you need is what Graham suggested - if you don't have
other software for the job. Icons aren't really "image" files, but I believe
you can use SnagIt to *batch convert* icons to GIFs. Then just put the GIFs
in using InsertPicture - Create from File.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/10/07 5:40 PM, in article
, "Gratje"

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Or use a graphics conversion utility such as SnagIt to convert it to a
compatible format such as GIF.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org