JCSadie

Default IF statements always returning the "False" condition

I am working with Word documents that contain several IF statements. The IF
statements are mostly related to whether or not I need the singular or plural
words. The if statement looks something like this:

{ IF {mergefield field11 }="Debtors" "Debtors'" "Debtor's" \*Mergeformat }

No matter if field 11 contains Debtors or Debtor, the false condition always
shows up in my document.

What is going on with this? I have checked the Website for MVP's for
answers and also searched the Microsoft site for answers.
Doug Robbins

A field construction that looks exactly like the one that you posted works
fine for me.

If you want to email a copy of the document to me, I will take a look at it
for you.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"JCSadie" wrote in message
I am working with Word documents that contain several IF statements. The
IF
statements are mostly related to whether or not I need the singular or
plural
words. The if statement looks something like this:

{ IF {mergefield field11 }="Debtors" "Debtors'" "Debtor's" \*Mergeformat }

No matter if field 11 contains Debtors or Debtor, the false condition
always
shows up in my document.

What is going on with this? I have checked the Website for MVP's for
answers and also searched the Microsoft site for answers.

JCSadie

Field 11 contains either Debtors or Debtor. I have that field inserted into
the document and it delivers without If statements, r depending on what is
contain in the field, Debtors or Debtor. That seems to work out just fine.
Thanks for your help.

JCSadie wrote:
I am working with Word documents that contain several IF statements.
The IF statements are mostly related to whether or not I need the
singular or plural words. The if statement looks something like this:

{ IF {mergefield field11 }="Debtors" "Debtors'" "Debtor's"
\*Mergeformat }

No matter if field 11 contains Debtors or Debtor, the false condition
always shows up in my document.

What is going on with this? I have checked the Website for MVP's for
answers and also searched the Microsoft site for answers.

Graham Mayor

In that case, there is no reason why it should not work as well there as it
does for Doug and me.

{ IF {mergefield field11 } = "Debtors" "Debtors'" "Debtor's" }

I take it you have inserted the field into the condition and not merely
typed it and that it is spelled correctly?