Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
April B. April B. is offline

Default Adding Fields to Mail Merge

We updated to Word 2003 and when I try to go back into previously saved Mail
Merge databases, I have to first answer "yes" to a pop up that asks, "Opening
this document will run the following SQL command: Select *From (file's
location). Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you
want to continue?"

I click yes, then I get into the database, but when I click on Edit, I
cannot find a way to add additional fields to what I already have.

I notice that when I create a new Mail Merge database in Word 2003, I can
click on Edit and add fields, but not, seemingly, from databases saved from
before the Word update.

Can anyone advise me on how to customize (add fields) to my old Mail Merge
stuff?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have to first answer "yes" to a pop up that asks, "Opening
this document will run the following SQL command: Select *From (file's
location). Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do
you
want to continue?"

There's a discussion about this that started a few days ago with a message
titled
" KB 825765 - just making sure..."
which you might want to read. However, the simple workaround is to make the
registry change described in the following Knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765

I click yes, then I get into the database, but when I click on Edit, I
cannot find a way to add additional fields to what I already have.

I notice that when I create a new Mail Merge database in Word 2003, I can
click on Edit and add fields, but not, seemingly, from databases saved
from
before the Word update.

Yes, the rules have changed /and/ even when the Edit button is not greyed
out it does not necessarily do what you expect.

Can anyone advise me on how to customize (add fields) to my old Mail Merge
stuff?

If your previous "databases" were created in the older version of Mail
Merge, then they are probably tables in Word documents - you can open those
documents and edit them directly in Word. Although you may find that Word
still successfully notices the changes you make without saving/closing the
data source document, I would save and close anyway these days.

For almost all data sources you have to open the source in the "creating
application", e.g. open a .mdb in Access, a .xls in Excel and so on. The new
format used by Word when you create a list in mailmerge is an "Office
Address List" which is a .mdb file in a particular format that Word
recognises and lets you edit. In some cases you may find that you cannot
have your Mail merge Main document and the data source open at the same time
(e.g. probably with Excel worksheets).

Peter Jamieson

"April B." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
April B. April B. is offline

Peter,

I'm trying to understand your directions... please bear with me, I don't
know a lot about how any of this works... I've sort of hacked my way through
Word and discovered how to do things, but delving into things like "tables"
is beyond me.

But I'm not totally clueless, so if you could give me some clarification?

You said, "If your previous "databases" were created in the older version of
Mail
Merge, then they are probably tables in Word documents - you can open those
documents and edit them directly in Word"

How do I do this exactly? For instance, I'm looking at the screen and I see
a whole page full of:

«Address1»

«Address1»

From there, I usually click on the icon for "Mail Merge Recipients" then
Edit and I keep adding contacts. But the things I need to add are secondary
address, phone number, etc to the fields I already have (like name, primary
add, etc.).

Any help you can give is so appreciated.
Thanks,
April

"April B." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

First, some terms:
Mail Merge Main Document
b. the data that you merge into it is usually termed the Mail Merge Data
Source (or Data Source, for short)

You said you upgraded to Word 2003 but not what you upgraded from.
c. If it was Word 97 or 2000, or perhaps even earlier, the data sources
would probably have been a Word document (but they /might/ have been saved
in a different format.
d. if it was Word 2002 (Word XP) then the databases created in Word would
have been "Office Address Lists" identical to the ones created in Word 2003.

There are a few ways to find our what your data source is, e.g. with your
Mail Merge Main Document open, go to

Word|Help|About|"System Info"

then wait for the utility to start...

then

"System Summary"|"Office 2003 Applications"|"Microsoft Office Word
2003"|"Mail Merge"

then look at the Data Source item in the right-hand pane.

If it is a .doc, note the full path name of the .doc, then close the System
Info dialog box, close your mail merge main document, and try using Word
File|Open to open the file named in System Info. With any luck, you should
see your data, but it could be in a Word table or simply in a
comma-delimited format or tab-delimited format within Word. If it's a table,
ou can add a new field to the "database" by adding a column to the table and
giving it the name you want to use. Then close the .doc, re-open your mail
merge main document, and see if the new column appears in the list of
fields. If it isn't a table, things are a little harder but I'd rather not
try to deal with that unless I have to.

If it isn't a .doc, let us know what the file name is.

(If no extensions are displayed we'll have to try something else).

Peter Jamieson

"April B." wrote in message
[...]

From there, I usually click on the icon for "Mail Merge Recipients" then

"April B." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
April B. April B. is offline

Peter,

You rock the Casbah! That did it! I would never have figured this out in a
thousand years, so THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Don't be surprised to see me back here... there are other tricks up my
sleeve that might need a little wizardry to accomplish. And you are the
WIZARD!

~April

"April B." wrote in message
[...]

From there, I usually click on the icon for "Mail Merge Recipients" then