Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MergeMechanic MergeMechanic is offline

Default spell check information inserted in a merge field

I am using mail merge to create documents such as Deeds, etc. Spell check
does not recognize spelling errors in my finished documents for the text that
is inserted from my database within the merge field. Is there a setting or
command that would tell Spell Check to check the spelling of words within the
merge fields?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As far as I know, Word always sets the results of MERGEFIELD codes as if you
checked Tools|Language|"Do not check spelling or grammar", and trying to
workaround it using \*Charformat, \*Mergeformat, or applying character
styles does not help.

If you are not deliberately excluding other parts of the document from the
check, or using other languages in the text, the simplest thing is probably
a. merge to a new document
b. select the entire document (e.g. ctrl-A)
c. ensure that Tools|Language|"Do not check spelling or grammar" is
unchecked
d. do the spell check.

Peter Jamieson