Anna Summers

Default Numbered Lists

I was trying to get a bit of space (a half line to a line) between each item
on a numbered list and it was a nightmare. I started reading about the
numbered list situation, which seems to me to be a basic item for a word
processor to accomplish easily.

What a gleaned from my reading was that Word 2003 list numbering does NOT
work reliably and that it takes someone with time to study programming and
writing cryptic code to get it to work properly. I am astounded! I thought
word was supposed to be some great word processor - and it can't even provide
and easy-do-do simple thing like a numbered list - not even 1. 2. 3. with a
bit of space between the items instead of running them together?

Does WordPerfect provide an easy way to produce a numbered list?

Anna
Steve Yandl

Anna,

Each time you press the Enter key to get a new numbered line, you're
actually creating a new paragraph. Select your numbered list, go to 'Format
Paragraph...' and in the 'Spacing' section, set 'Spacing before' to 6pt.

That should do the trick.

Steve

"Anna Summers" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

If you use numbered styles rather than trying to cobble together some manual
formatting to apply numbers the problems you suggest will go away. With any
style, you can apply whatever formatting you require as part of the style
description and in this instance you need to add spacing before or after in
the paragraph format.

Anna Summers wrote:
I was trying to get a bit of space (a half line to a line) between
each item on a numbered list and it was a nightmare. I started
reading about the numbered list situation, which seems to me to be a
basic item for a word processor to accomplish easily.

What a gleaned from my reading was that Word 2003 list numbering does
NOT work reliably and that it takes someone with time to study
programming and writing cryptic code to get it to work properly. I
am astounded! I thought word was supposed to be some great word
processor - and it can't even provide and easy-do-do simple thing
like a numbered list - not even 1. 2. 3. with a bit of space between
the items instead of running them together?

Does WordPerfect provide an easy way to produce a numbered list?

Anna

Anna Summers

I think this may be a solution, Graham, but I'm not sure I follow exactly
what you are saying. I do most everything with styles - I don't "cobble
together" something that I want to use again. There is a way to make a
numbering STYLE that Word will REMEMBER in the future? I guess I just don't
know how to do that with a numbered list. What do I start with? And how do
I make it the DEFAULT for numbering so when I click the numbered list button,
I get the style that I created?

Thanks,
AnnaSummers

Anna Summers wrote:
I was trying to get a bit of space (a half line to a line) between
each item on a numbered list and it was a nightmare. I started
reading about the numbered list situation, which seems to me to be a
basic item for a word processor to accomplish easily.

What a gleaned from my reading was that Word 2003 list numbering does
NOT work reliably and that it takes someone with time to study
programming and writing cryptic code to get it to work properly. I
am astounded! I thought word was supposed to be some great word
processor - and it can't even provide and easy-do-do simple thing
like a numbered list - not even 1. 2. 3. with a bit of space between
the items instead of running them together?

Does WordPerfect provide an easy way to produce a numbered list?

Anna

Anna Summers

Thank you Suzanne. It looks like it did great. I used List to modify and
then List Number and List Bullet based on List. If it "remembers" this, I
will be very pleased. Why were people saying that you had to write code to
to make these style changes "stick?"

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

[...]

I think code would be required to make the Numbering button apply and remove
a style as a toggle, the way numbering works by default.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you modify the List Number style and apply it, you will always get

the
formatting you prefer.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor

One of the attributes of any style is its numbering format ands you can
define that as part of the style (there is a pre-defined style called list
number which you can modify). Simply apply this style to your numbered list.
Forget the numbering button on the toolbar.

Numbered Lists Mary Lee Page Layout 5 August 12th 05 04:08 PM
bullets and numbered lists apply to ALL styles Mark at Icom Microsoft Word Help 3 May 26th 05 01:17 PM
How do I turn off the automatic indenting of numbered lists? Rigel Microsoft Word Help 2 April 27th 05 06:02 AM
restart numbered lists in master documents usergal Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 02:27 PM
Justifed text in Numbered lists, last line of parapgraph spacing m ITILMan Microsoft Word Help 4 February 6th 05 04:57 PM