Hullaballoo

Default hyperlink opens with wrong application

I am using Word 2000 on Windows 2000. I have a hyperlink to a .tif file, and
I have set the .tif association to be a custom application (i.e., not Windows
imaging) through the Explorer. When I click on a .tif file in Explorer, my
custom application works. But when I follow the hyperlink through Word 2000,
it opens with Windows imaging instead.

Question: How can I get Word to open my customs application when following
the hyperlink? (And, less important but still of interest -- any idea why
this is happening?)

Thanks!
NoSunHere

Go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and scroll down to the
TIF extension. highlight it and click on Change. Now pick the program you
want to use to open your TIF files. If you ALWAYS want to use this program,
click the box that says Always use this program....

To answer your second question, this is your "default" area. You can "open
with" a lot of programs, but making the change here will be your default
program.

"Hullaballoo" wrote:

I am using Word 2000 on Windows 2000. I have a hyperlink to a .tif file, and
I have set the .tif association to be a custom application (i.e., not Windows
imaging) through the Explorer. When I click on a .tif file in Explorer, my
custom application works. But when I follow the hyperlink through Word 2000,
it opens with Windows imaging instead.

Question: How can I get Word to open my customs application when following
the hyperlink? (And, less important but still of interest -- any idea why
this is happening?)

Thanks!

Hullaballoo

Unfortunately, that did not work. My custom .tif viewer is already the
default application (which Windows Explorer does recognize). But for some
reason, Word 2000 insists on using Windows imaging to open .tif files, as if
it is hardwired somehow in the Word hyperlink code.

"Hullaballoo" wrote:

I am using Word 2000 on Windows 2000. I have a hyperlink to a .tif file, and
I have set the .tif association to be a custom application (i.e., not Windows
imaging) through the Explorer. When I click on a .tif file in Explorer, my
custom application works. But when I follow the hyperlink through Word 2000,
it opens with Windows imaging instead.

Question: How can I get Word to open my customs application when following
the hyperlink? (And, less important but still of interest -- any idea why
this is happening?)

Thanks!

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

In Windows Explorer in Tools=Folder Options
see if you can choose 'Change' for the association
for .TIF files to use another app, then start Word
and try your link. In some cases deleting the
TIF association entirely before starting Word may
be needed to allow the change.

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx