chixwchops

Default keyboard shortcut for create date & time

I'll try to explain this as best I can.

I need to create a contact log for phone calls / meetings with clients &
other staff. I'd prefer to do this in Word & I need to keep track of dates &
times of contacts.

Currently, I've assiged a keyboard shortcut for inserting the date field and
the time field. However, when I open the document later, the dates & times
have changed to the orignial date & time.

I've read about changing the date to CREATEDATE instead of the simple DATE
when looking at the code by pressing Alt + F9. However, I also see that
there is a way to Insert - Field - Create Date - and then select which type
of date/time I would like to insert into the document. However, I cannot see
a way to create a keyboard shortcult to do this step automatically for me.

Can anybody give me a step-by-step for how to insert a keyboard shortcut to
create a createdate field with the same preference to be used each time?
Thanks.

Daiya Mitchell

See here for how to create the autotext and make it easily accessible:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Charles Kenyon

If you are using separate documents for each log entry, the simple method is
to create a template for that page that already has your CreateDate field.
If you are putting the entries into a single document, you would need a
macro, which could be assigned to a keystroke.

However, why reinvent the wheel? The Journal in Outlook is very well suited
to keeping track of dates and times of contacts and even allows linking to
contacts in your contacts folder.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.