Stan Brown

Default "changes have been made that affect the global template" but they haven't!

Word 2003; Win XP Pro SP2

I started getting the above message on Sunday. This is NOT related to
editing; it occurs even if I open Word without a document and
immediately close it.

I googled and found Charles Kenyon's page
http://www.addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm and read through it
carefully. This suggests that the problem is a poorly written add-in,
but I can't find it.

Using http://www.addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm, I checked for
add-ins and found:

++ Only one in my startup folder, namely my own customization
template. If I move this out of the startup folder, the problem
persists, so this is not the culprit.

++ No files at all in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup

++No COM add-ins at all

++Tools Templates and Addins lists only my customization template,
mentioned above

When I try "winword /a" as suggested, the problem doesn't occur. With
"winword" it does occur.

Help! This spurious prompt to change NORMAL.DOT is annoying, and I'd
like to get rid of it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Charles Kenyon

Did you look in the Office Startup folder?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

I get this every time the time changes (from Daylight-Saving to Standard or
vice versa). I'm not sure what it is about the time change that triggers it,
but it is harmless. Like you, I can open Word, do nothing, and immediately
close it and still get the message, so after a time or two, I just say yes.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Stan Brown

Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:49:45 -0600 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
I get this every time the time changes (from Daylight-Saving to Standard or
vice versa). I'm not sure what it is about the time change that triggers it,
but it is harmless. Like you, I can open Word, do nothing, and immediately
close it and still get the message, so after a time or two, I just say yes.

Thanks Suzanne for your reply.

I thought it was DST related too, so I tried on Monday saying Yes.
But it's still giving the prompt, even when I open word via Start
Run "winword" (no document) and immediately close it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Stan Brown

Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:44:36 -0600 from Charles Kenyon
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
++ No files at all in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup

Did you look in the Office Startup folder?

I thought I did -- was I looking in the wrong place?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

I'm not sure I've closed Word since I said yes, so I'll have to get back to
you on that, but it's always worked in the past. I was not the one who
figured out the relation to the time change, but it did seem to match my
experience, and I was expecting it this time.

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:49:45 -0600 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
I get this every time the time changes (from Daylight-Saving to Standard

or
vice versa). I'm not sure what it is about the time change that triggers

it,
but it is harmless. Like you, I can open Word, do nothing, and

immediately
close it and still get the message, so after a time or two, I just say

yes.

Thanks Suzanne for your reply.

I thought it was DST related too, so I tried on Monday saying Yes.
But it's still giving the prompt, even when I open word via Start
Run "winword" (no document) and immediately close it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Stan Brown

Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:15:13 -0600 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
I'm not sure I've closed Word since I said yes, so I'll have to get back to
you on that, but it's always worked in the past. I was not the one who
figured out the relation to the time change, but it did seem to match my
experience, and I was expecting it this time.

Weirdness! I tried it again today, after posting my earlier reply to
you, and now when I open and close Word I no longer get the spurious
message.

So I guess it's either the DST chance and the day after, or else it
gets reset after answering the prompt with Yes twice. "Just another
Festivus miracle." :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/