Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Default Mail Merge Question

Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page uses the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

When you create your Main Document use either Labels or Directory as the
document type rather than Letters... Letters implies that you want a
separate copy of the document for each recipient, so Word is repeating the
data for each recipient into the corresponding copies of the fields on your
one-page letter.

If you use Labels you can select any of the one-up/2 labels per page formats
& perhaps get the results you are looking for even if you print to plain
paper. OTOH, if you use the Directory feature it will give you more layout
flexibility.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page uses the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although using 2-to-a-page "labels" would be the standard way to do this in
any version of Word, Word 2000 and above offer another, simpler option. Set
up your mail merge main document for "2 pages per sheet" (Portrait, in the
Page Setup dialog, NOT in the Print dialog), and you can then use a Letter
merge.

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on

each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page uses

the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Thanks very much for your replies

I tried both approaches suggested as well as a combo approach, (i.e. I set
it up as 2 to a page custom labels and also used Page/setup to indicate 2
pages per sheet.

All of these approaches still give me one query record per sheet i.e same
record appears on both labels in a sheet.
--
Jim McColl

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on

each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page uses

the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use the "2 pages per sheet" option (in Page Setup), you should be
using a Letter merge. Every page is a separate letter, and you should be
getting two "letters" per page. If you put have two labels AND two pages to
a sheet, you're going to have four of these things per page. If you're going
to do that, then you should be using 4-up labels.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Although using 2-to-a-page "labels" would be the standard way to do this

in
any version of Word, Word 2000 and above offer another, simpler option.

Set
up your mail merge main document for "2 pages per sheet" (Portrait, in

the
Page Setup dialog, NOT in the Print dialog), and you can then use a

Letter
merge.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I

have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on

each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page

uses
the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single

sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

I wish I could attach the document to this reply. When I set it up as letter,
2 pages per sheet, I still get 1 record per sheet, when I do the merge
--
Jim McColl

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you use the "2 pages per sheet" option (in Page Setup), you should be
using a Letter merge. Every page is a separate letter, and you should be
getting two "letters" per page. If you put have two labels AND two pages to
a sheet, you're going to have four of these things per page. If you're going
to do that, then you should be using 4-up labels.

news

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I

have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on
each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page

uses
the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single

sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be getting one record per page, and each page is half of a sheet.
You will be seeing individual pages, but when you print them, there will be
two pages per sheet. This is the result that I get if I set up such a merge.
Admittedly, I'm not using the Mail Merge Wizard but rather the Mail Merge
Toolbar, as described in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/E...MailMerges.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you use the "2 pages per sheet" option (in Page Setup), you should be
using a Letter merge. Every page is a separate letter, and you should be
getting two "letters" per page. If you put have two labels AND two pages

a sheet, you're going to have four of these things per page. If you're

going
to do that, then you should be using 4-up labels.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Did you insert the "Next Record" ({NEXT}) field before the merge
fields on the second label? This should be on the Mail Merge toolbar
under "Insert Word Field".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
Greetings - I am trying to print application forms two to a page
lengthwise
using MS Office 2003 mail merge with an MS Access query as input. I
have
tried setting this up as a custom sized label, so I would get two on
each
page, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the page.

The problem I am running into is that each label on a given page
uses the
same record from the query.

Does anyone know a way to get two records to print on a single
sheet.

Thanks for any help
--
Jim McColl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Yes, I should have stipulated that adding the NEXT field would not
require setting the document up as 2 pages per sheet. :-)

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/