Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] margaret.hartmann@gmail.com is offline

Default CVS doc to import into gmail address book

I am trying to convert an Excel Document into a CVS document so that I
can import it into my gmail address book.

The file has two columns one for names and the other for emails. I
saved it as a CVS document and excel told me that I might have a
problem with the document... but didn't tell me why or how to fix it.

Then when I tried to import it into gmail... It told me that my file
was corrupt.

any ideas?
thanks
margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

This group isn't about either Excel or gmail, but
a. when you Save As from Excel to a .csv format, the chances are that Excel
will
- warn you that a multi-sheet Excel workbook can't be saved as a .csv .
In other words, you can only export the data from a single sheet - probably
what you expect.
- warn you that some of the data may not export successfully into .csv
formt. That could be for a variety of reasons, but in essence Excel is
saying "Excel format is richer than .csv format". So again,that message may
not be telling you anything particularly significant in this case.
b. you should be able to open the .csv file in a plain text editor such as
Notepad. if you also have a description of what gmail expects to be in a
..csv file (I don't know), you should be able to work out from that what is
going wrong. It could be that your data has delimiter characters such as
commas, carriage returns, or double-quote characters in it.

Peter Jamieson
ups.com...