Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KDC KDC is offline

Default Character Limitation - a table cell in Word 2003

I am wondering if there is a character limitation in a Word 2003 table cell?
I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation but I need to know if
word has one.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber Helmut Weber is offline

Hi KDC,

i've never heard about character limitation
in a Word 2003 table cell,
which doesn't mean "unlimited".

I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
but I need to know if word has one.

I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
No problem, it seems.

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KDC KDC is offline

Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues with
this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a limit.

Thanks for your help.

"Helmut Weber" wrote:

Hi KDC,

i've never heard about character limitation
in a Word 2003 table cell,
which doesn't mean "unlimited".

I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
but I need to know if word has one.

I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
No problem, it seems.

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi KDC,

Excel does not limit you to 255 characters in a cell. Excel 2000, for example, allows 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in the
cell but all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

In Word, you can fit a string about 32 megabytes long into a cell, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to find out Word's or Excel's capacities, use Help with 'limits' as the subject.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"KDC" wrote in message ...
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a limit.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KDC KDC is offline

Thanks, I did check word help and was not able to find what I was looking for.

But this answers my questions, not sure however what 32 mb equates to how
many chacaters bit I am guessing it can hold allot!

"KDC" wrote in message ...
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a limit.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber Helmut Weber is offline

Hi Macropod,

Excel 2000, for example, allows 32,767 characters.
Only 1,024 display in the
cell but all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

yes, at least as many as fit on the screen.

:-)

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] JohnKickering@hotmail.com is offline

Default NEW: Character Limitation - a table cell in Word 2003 by VBA

Though, I found a problem when using a VBA macro in Word 2003:

I can't mail the macro, but I first recorded it and afterwards I
changed the inserted text by variables, read from an Access DB into
global vars.
The macro perform the foloowing:
setting up the page margins, setting two columns and a table of 2
columns, 1 row initial, fitting in the columns.
Columnsizes are set. That works all OK.
(A) The first cell in col 1 is filled with some text, followed by
filling column 2 with text.
Then, by using the 'Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell' five times, two
row are added.
Using 'Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine Count:=2' the cursor is positioned
at the row after the text entered.
By using 'Selection.Cells.Merge' (after first selecting the whole row)
the two cells of the row are merged.
Now text is entered.
By selecting the whole cell a line is placed at the bottom of the cell
(Format etc.)
Then 'Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell' is used to position the cursor
to the first cell in the last row.
For a next DB record this procedure can run again from (A).
Well this works fine for a while, until a long text is placed in column
2. For some reason the 'MoveRight' commands does not work than. The
cursor in that case is placed TWO rows lower.

I can't find out what causes this. I tried about everything, even
entering the text line by line, but still the same result on the same
piece of text.

I thought it was a timing problem, but it isn't.
The length of the text entered in the cell is about 1000 to 1500
characters. The other parts are smaller.
I think of two possibillities:
1. the text length cause the problem
2. the cell in the table has to be expanded by Word (2003) and that
takes to much time
But it could be anything else.

So, that's why I put the question here, because i think it is related.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

"KDC" wrote in message ...
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a limit.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I would suggest that you NOT use the Selection object.

Looking at your description of what the code does, it could all be done
using the Range object.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

ups.com...

"KDC" wrote in message
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues
with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a
limit.

| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] JohnKickering@hotmail.com is offline

No difference with the Range object.

I changed it to:

(starting at the point that text is entered in column 2)
Selection.SelectRow
Selection.InsertRowsBelow 1
Selection.InsertRowsBelow 1
Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
Selection.SelectRow
Selection.Cells.Merge
after this text is entered in the merged cell and the cell is formatted
to have a line at the bottom,
followed by:
Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=1
Selection.InsertRowsBelow 1
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1

But still, when running the macro, after placing large pieces of text
(about 1000 chars. or more), the next cells/columns are wrongly filled.

HELP!!
John

Doug Robbins - Word MVP schreef:
I would suggest that you NOT use the Selection object.

Looking at your description of what the code does, it could all be done
using the Range object.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

ups.com...

"KDC" wrote in message
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into issues
with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a
limit.

| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I do not see the .Range object being there.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

ups.com...

"KDC" wrote in message
| Thank You, I know excel has a limit because I have ran into
issues
with
| this. I will make an assumption for now that word does not have a
limit.

| Thanks for your help.
|
| "Helmut Weber" wrote:
|
| Hi KDC,
|
| i've never heard about character limitation
| in a Word 2003 table cell,
| which doesn't mean "unlimited".
|
| I know in EXCEL there is a 255 character limitation
| but I need to know if word has one.
|
| I've just filled an Excel-cell with 392 characters.
| No problem, it seems.
|
| --
| Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
|
| Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA
|
| Win XP, Office 2003
| "red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

error messages when using table formula after moving column tot's hunguponword Tables 3 November 26th 06 03:27 AM
Why can't I get Multiple instances of word? Laverne Microsoft Word Help 14 November 17th 06 01:35 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How do I move from cell to cell iin a table column in Word 2003? MOSwannabe Tables 4 January 26th 06 10:17 PM
How to Avoid Word 2003 Table Style Problems Judy Haynes Tables 0 March 23rd 05 06:41 PM