Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LCF LCF is offline

Default Display acronym in TOC

I am editing a document in Word 2003. The document authors have the section
headings in all caps, but the Table of Contents displays the entries in
initial caps. The problem is that one section heading contains a 3-letter
acronym which should display in all caps. For some reason, Word displays the
first 2 letters as caps, but not the third. I have corrected the entry by
hand for now, but I would prefer a more permanent solution in case someone
regenerates the TOC and this entry reverts to its previous state.

Is there a way to edit the source code for this single entry to control how
it displays in the TOC?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi LFC

LCF wrote:
I am editing a document in Word 2003. The document authors have the section
headings in all caps, but the Table of Contents displays the entries in
initial caps. The problem is that one section heading contains a 3-letter
acronym which should display in all caps. For some reason, Word displays the
first 2 letters as caps, but not the third. [..]

Possible explanation: the "all-caps-ness" of the heading is a result of
defining AllCaps as a character property of the style. No matter whether
the actual typed characters are there as upper or lower case, Word will
then show the entire heading in AllCaps. Now, I suspect the acronym has
been inserted like "LCf". Then the TOC will reflect that, because it's
not bound by the _style-based_ formatting of the heading entry.

If I am correct, try retyping the acronym in the heading with real
capital letters.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Cell borders in a Table do not display on the monitor screen Bo_Jack Tables 1 March 5th 06 11:49 PM
provide an ability to display acronyms rmats Microsoft Word Help 0 October 19th 05 05:30 PM
Table display problems JimSym Tables 1 June 11th 05 04:44 PM
Logo and Signature on template don't display Chrisso Microsoft Word Help 1 May 1st 05 05:04 PM
WORD 2002 will not display ASPX clip files. LOUISE Microsoft Word Help 1 January 11th 05 08:58 PM