Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Default Bullet List

If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default bullet list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at teh bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a custom style?

Thanks in advance,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Create a bulleted style, or modify the built-in List Bullet style to suit
your needs.

If you make use of the built-in List Bullet style, note that there is a
keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+L) that applies it to text.

To set the indents for a bulleted style, just apply it to text, right-click
a bulleted item and choose Adjust List Indents from the context menu. When
you are done, click OK. Then right-click again and choose to Update style
name to Match Selection.

To transfer the settings to the attached template, right-click the style in
the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and choose Modify. Click the "New
documents based on this template" option and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for the quick reply but that is not exactly what I was thinking.
When I typed in bullet list, what I really meant was a new "numbering
format". The user wants to create a numbering format with a ¶ symbol,
followed by a number (without a period) and then a tab to where the text
begins. If we try to adjust the line indents it only works for the 1st row.
She also does not want to have to adjust every time. She also wants to set
the margins a specific way. She claims she could do this in prior versions of
Word. Is this something that needs to be done via creation of a new style or
are we missing something here??

Thanks a lot,

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can apply the List Number style instead, and then modify it to include
the ¶ symbol.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

What is the benefit of that versus just creating a new style? Wouldn't the
user just have to modify the list number style everytime? Sorry, but not a
big power user here..

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whether you modify the List Number style or create a new style, you'll still
have to do it again in every new document unless you save the changes to the
template, so it's six of one and half a dozen of another. I prefer to use
the built-in styles when possible just to avoid proliferation of styles.

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default
bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs
over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at
teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a
custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

OK thanks, but when referring to modifying the List number style are we
referring to modifying the "List Paragraph" quick style, or instead are we
just modifying one of the existing numbering formats that are showed in the
numbering library?

Thanks again,

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default
bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs
over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at
teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a
custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Thanks alot, but my only clarification woudl be what we mean when we discusee
modifyling "List Number stlyes". Are we discussing modifying teh LIST
PARAGRAPH quick style, or instead are we referring to modifying one of teh
pre-defined number formats that show in the NUMBER LIBRARY???

Thanks again,

Nat

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default
bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then tabs
over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set at
teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a
custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess you must be using Word 2007 since I don't know what you're talking
about (and "quick style" is a Word 2007 concept). I was talking about the
style named List Number. There are several groups (List, List Bullet, List
Number, List Continue) each with a series of styles with progressively
larger indents. The List Number series are List Number, List Number 2, List
Number 3, etc.

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default
bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then
tabs
over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set
at
teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a
custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I was referring to the paragraph style called "List Number," which has
numbering formatting by default. As Suzanne wrote, whether you use the
built-in style or a custom one is up to you.

Then, to apply the number formatting, you would just apply the style to
text.

The advantage of using styles is that they can be copied to other documents
or templates, which means that you can re-use them easily. (This is
different from the predefined formats under Home tab | Numbering.)

Note: Although "List Paragraph" is indeed a paragraph style, it doesn't
actually store any numbering formatting. It is used by Word whenever you add
a number or bullet format as direct formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nat" wrote in message
If someone wants to create a new bullet list or set the default
bullet
list
in Word 07 that starts with a ¶ followed by a number and then
tabs
over to
where the text starts, how does one do that? Does that get set
at
teh
bullet
level or the paragraph level, or do they simply have to create a
custom
style?

Thanks in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you want to automate this, using the built-in List Number style, a simple
way is to intercept the FormatNumberDefault command with this code (place it
in normal.dotm):

Sub FormatNumberDefault()
On Error GoTo errhandler
If Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style.NameLocal = _
ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleListNumber).NameLocal Then
Selection.Style = wdStyleNormal
Else
Selection.Style = wdStyleListNumber
End If