Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gump

Default screen tips on toolbars option not staying selected

I have MS office 2003 and Acrobat Standard 6.0.5 on XP-Pro machine.
The problem only occurs in MS Word.

Every time I open and use Word, I have to right-click on a toolbar icon, go
to "customize" and check both "Show ScreenTips on Tooolbars" and "Show short
cut keys in ScreenTips" to get them to display while hovering over a toolbar
icon with my mouse pointer.

What can I do differently to keep from having to manually make these changes
each time that I open and use Word? Shouldn't these options only have to be
selected once and MS Word remember my selections even if I close Word?

Kindest Regards,

-Gump

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gump

By the way, I have also tried the "shift + file | save all" suggestion; this
does not work either...

"Gump" wrote:

I have MS office 2003 and Acrobat Standard 6.0.5 on XP-Pro machine.
The problem only occurs in MS Word.

Every time I open and use Word, I have to right-click on a toolbar icon, go
to "customize" and check both "Show ScreenTips on Tooolbars" and "Show short
cut keys in ScreenTips" to get them to display while hovering over a toolbar
icon with my mouse pointer.

What can I do differently to keep from having to manually make these changes
each time that I open and use Word? Shouldn't these options only have to be
selected once and MS Word remember my selections even if I close Word?

Kindest Regards,

-Gump

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gump

okay, so I nuked the Word Data Key; opened Word, customized to "show tool
tips", shut down word, went back in and it still did not work.

So, I closed Word again and closed outlook, opened task manager, and ended
the "outlook.exe" process; long story short, Tool Tips will now display as
long as outlook is running. When I close outlook, tool tips will no longer
display

- can you help diagnose this weird one ??
- Gump

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These settings are saved in the Registry; try nuking the Word Data key as
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

news

"Gump" wrote:

I have MS office 2003 and Acrobat Standard 6.0.5 on XP-Pro machine.
The problem only occurs in MS Word.

Every time I open and use Word, I have to right-click on a toolbar icon,

go
to "customize" and check both "Show ScreenTips on Tooolbars" and "Show

short
cut keys in ScreenTips" to get them to display while hovering over a

toolbar
icon with my mouse pointer.

What can I do differently to keep from having to manually make these

changes
each time that I open and use Word? Shouldn't these options only have to

be
selected once and MS Word remember my selections even if I close Word?

Kindest Regards,

-Gump

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Was Outlook and the Outlook.exe process shut down when you nuked the data
key?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These settings are saved in the Registry; try nuking the Word Data key as
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

so
all may benefit.

news

"Gump" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Gump

Twice recently we've had people in this newsgroup whose settings would not
'stick'. It turned out that both were using CCleaner, which appears to be a
nasty piece of software that deletes entries in the registry that it does
not like.

The most recent message is he
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...84cd8b368f9f4c

The other two people had circumstances slightly different from yours, but I
wonder if it is possible that you are suffering from the same fate?

For what it's worth, this time last week I reported the problem to CCleaner,
but have had neither an acknowledgement nor a reply.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These settings are saved in the Registry; try nuking the Word Data key as
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

so
all may benefit.

news

"Gump" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gump

Thanks, I'll have a look there too...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These settings are saved in the Registry; try nuking the Word Data key as
described in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Gump" wrote in message
news By the way, I have also tried the "shift + file | save all" suggestion;
this
does not work either...