Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Default Reading Pane (Pain!)

I have customized my 'normal.dot' to fit my working environment. Two of the
things I did was deselect "Allow starting in Reading Layout" and
"Automatically create drawing canvas...". My Outlook editor is Word.

Why then do these two items keep cropping back up? I generally don't notice
that it has slipped down the slippery slope until I open someone's email and
it opens in reading layout. (why did Microsoft think this was a great
idea?). If I open my normal .dot to investigate, the items are re-checked.

Do Microsoft updates have anything to do with these items resetting? Other
customizations like macros are there and unchanged... any ideas on how to
make these two annoyances go away permanently?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Suzanne: for the uninitiated of us, can you describe what type of add-in
and/or what add-ins are in the Word environment? Other than macros or a
simple vb routine, I don't recall bringinig in any add-ins to my
documents.....

My thanks, Lenny

"Lenny" wrote in message
I have customized my 'normal.dot' to fit my working environment. Two of
the
things I did was deselect "Allow starting in Reading Layout" and
"Automatically create drawing canvas...". My Outlook editor is Word.

Why then do these two items keep cropping back up? I generally don't
notice
that it has slipped down the slippery slope until I open someone's email
and
it opens in reading layout. (why did Microsoft think this was a great
idea?). If I open my normal .dot to investigate, the items are
re-checked.

Do Microsoft updates have anything to do with these items resetting?
Other
customizations like macros are there and unchanged... any ideas on how to
make these two annoyances go away permanently?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As Suzanne indicates add-ins are usually blamed for this type of issue, but
having had the problem occur when no add-ins are installed, I suspect it is
just one possibility. I fear that Word 2003 is simply prone to minor
corruption of the settings key in the registry (where these settings are
stored) brought upon by some (as yet) unidentified factor.

The individual settings that corrupt do not appear consistent either which
makes it difficult to apply a panacea; however the best approach if you are
plagued with this issue is to correct the errant settings with an autonew
and an autoopen macro in normal.dot, so at least it starts out right. Using
Outlook as e-mail editor only adds to the difficulties. I would suggest that
you use Outlook's own quite competent editor.

The code required to fix these two issues is

With Options
.AllowReadingMode = False
.AutoCreateNewDrawings = False
End With

See the section on automacros at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Lenny wrote:
I have customized my 'normal.dot' to fit my working environment.
Two of the things I did was deselect "Allow starting in Reading
Layout" and "Automatically create drawing canvas...". My Outlook
editor is Word.

Why then do these two items keep cropping back up? I generally don't
notice that it has slipped down the slippery slope until I open
someone's email and it opens in reading layout. (why did Microsoft
think this was a great idea?). If I open my normal .dot to
investigate, the items are re-checked.

Do Microsoft updates have anything to do with these items resetting?
Other customizations like macros are there and unchanged... any ideas
on how to make these two annoyances go away permanently?

W-2003 Mail merge - Recipients/Edit/Customize - viewing pane (pain George Mailmerge 2 January 4th 07 10:23 PM
Footnote pane pain stephen Page Layout 5 August 1st 05 03:38 PM
TASK PANE (or whatever it is), or is it TASK PAIN in the you know gman Page Layout 4 March 31st 05 09:44 PM
Word 2003 task pane (pain) Birilac Page Layout 1 February 15th 05 07:37 AM
Word 2003 "Getting Started" Pane is Pain Adam S New Users 1 December 9th 04 08:10 PM