Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LenJP LenJP is offline

Default How to change default settings in Word 2003

When using Word 2003, I know how to change a number of the settings and
options while I am working on that document.

But, how can I change those settings so they will stay that way when I start
create new documents, edit old documents, etc.?

For example, I do not want Word 2003 to automatically capitalize the first
letter of each line or sentence. And, I do not want it to automatically
create numbered or bulleted lists. I know how to change that each time I am
using Word 2003. But, how can I set it so those types of options are the
default every time I use Word 2003?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The options you mention are application-wide and should be saved. If you
find they are not being saved, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm. Note, however, that
a damaged Word Data key is not the only explanation; sometimes add-ins
change your settings, and the only solution for that is to ditch the problem
add-in.

"LenJP" wrote in message
When using Word 2003, I know how to change a number of the settings and
options while I am working on that document.

But, how can I change those settings so they will stay that way when I
start create new documents, edit old documents, etc.?

For example, I do not want Word 2003 to automatically capitalize the first
letter of each line or sentence. And, I do not want it to automatically
create numbered or bulleted lists. I know how to change that each time I
am using Word 2003. But, how can I set it so those types of options are
the default every time I use Word 2003?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LenJP LenJP is offline

Thanks. I just thought that I was doing something wrong.

I checked the support link, but I am at home on a different computer (with
Word 2002, not Word 2003). I tried making some test changes in options and
they did get retained after closing and then restarting Word 2002.

I'll try what the support link says on Monday when I am at the computer with
Word 2003 that is having a problem.

I download very little, and don't know of any "add-ins" I have. But if the
above doesn't work, I'll try to see if I can find any add-ins anywhere on
the computer.

"LenJP" wrote in message
When using Word 2003, I know how to change a number of the settings and
options while I am working on that document.

But, how can I change those settings so they will stay that way when I
start create new documents, edit old documents, etc.?

For example, I do not want Word 2003 to automatically capitalize the
first letter of each line or sentence. And, I do not want it to
automatically create numbered or bulleted lists. I know how to change
that each time I am using Word 2003. But, how can I set it so those
types of options are the default every time I use Word 2003?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The add-ins you'll be looking for will be add-ins to Word; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm. They
could include things as mainstream as the Office Plug-in for Norton
AntiVirus or the Adobe PDF add-in (though I don't think either of those
would cause this specific problem).

"LenJP" wrote in message
When using Word 2003, I know how to change a number of the settings and
options while I am working on that document.

But, how can I change those settings so they will stay that way when I
start create new documents, edit old documents, etc.?

For example, I do not want Word 2003 to automatically capitalize the
first letter of each line or sentence. And, I do not want it to
automatically create numbered or bulleted lists. I know how to change
that each time I am using Word 2003. But, how can I set it so those
types of options are the default every time I use Word 2003?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LenJP LenJP is offline

Thanks. When I get to work on Monday, I'll check to see what add-ins come
up when I click TOOLS -- Templates and Add-ins.

"LenJP" wrote in message
When using Word 2003, I know how to change a number of the settings and
options while I am working on that document.

But, how can I change those settings so they will stay that way when I
start create new documents, edit old documents, etc.?

For example, I do not want Word 2003 to automatically capitalize the
first letter of each line or sentence. And, I do not want it to
automatically create numbered or bulleted lists. I know how to change
that each time I am using Word 2003. But, how can I set it so those
types of options are the default every time I use Word 2003?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LenJP LenJP is offline

Wow. Thanks!

I finally got around to doing this and I clicked the link, did what it said,
and it worked like a charm.

Amazing.

P.S. I checked didn't have any add-ins, so that wasn't the problem.