Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Formatting in unprotected sections of fill-in forms Word 2007

In an unprotected section of a fill-in form, pasted text lacks some
formatting of the original (underlining) and no formatting is available in
the Font section of the Home Ribbon. All text that is typed into the
unprotected section is bold and underlined. How can I gain more control over
the unprotected section? Stopping and restarting protection is not an option
for the users who will be filling out the form. Thanks in advance for your
assistance.

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Chris,

There seems to be something wrong with your Word environment, your form, or
with the material you're pasting. When I try that in an unprotected section
of a protected form, the Font section of the Home ribbon is fully
operational and the pasted text appears the same as the source (assuming the
default paste format is "Same as source").

Does this occur if you start Word in safe mode? Maybe an add-in is
interfering.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Chris wrote:
In an unprotected section of a fill-in form, pasted text lacks some
formatting of the original (underlining) and no formatting is
available in the Font section of the Home Ribbon. All text that is
typed into the unprotected section is bold and underlined. How can I
gain more control over the unprotected section? Stopping and
restarting protection is not an option for the users who will be
filling out the form. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Jay--Thanks for the reply. All paste fromatting options are the defaults,
and Safe Mode makes no difference. I should mention that the form is a .doc
not a .docx. The computer is in a networked environment at work and was
installed in October 2008.

The form is one that I inherited and hoped to update rather than starting
from scratch. My plan is to create a new test form to see if I still
encounter the problem. I'll post back with the results.

Regards,

Chris

Chris wrote:
In an unprotected section of a fill-in form, pasted text lacks some
formatting of the original (underlining) and no formatting is
available in the Font section of the Home Ribbon. All text that is
typed into the unprotected section is bold and underlined. How can I
gain more control over the unprotected section? Stopping and
restarting protection is not an option for the users who will be
filling out the form. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

There was no change with the test form. Pasted text did not come through
correctly, and the font section of the Home ribbon was unavailable.

Chris wrote:
In an unprotected section of a fill-in form, pasted text lacks some
formatting of the original (underlining) and no formatting is
available in the Font section of the Home Ribbon. All text that is
typed into the unprotected section is bold and underlined. How can I
gain more control over the unprotected section? Stopping and
restarting protection is not an option for the users who will be
filling out the form. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

SOLVED! Unchecking 'Limit formatting to a selection of styles' seems to have
done the trick. Thanks

Chris wrote:
In an unprotected section of a fill-in form, pasted text lacks some
formatting of the original (underlining) and no formatting is
available in the Font section of the Home Ribbon. All text that is
typed into the unprotected section is bold and underlined. How can I
gain more control over the unprotected section? Stopping and
restarting protection is not an option for the users who will be
filling out the form. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Umm, yes, that would do it. Glad you found it!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Chris,

There seems to be something wrong with your Word environment, your
form, or with the material you're pasting. When I try that in an
unprotected section of a protected form, the Font section of the
Home ribbon is fully operational and the pasted text appears the
same as the source (assuming the default paste format is "Same as
source").

Does this occur if you start Word in safe mode? Maybe an add-in is
interfering.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman