Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ruth Ruth is offline

Default Edit Recipients & Blank Fields

I am using Word to generate labels from an Excel datasource which I have done
successfully before.
This time I would like to filter about 5,000 records to print only customers
in County Durham with a Yes in the Catalogue column and a blank entry under
the Account No. column.
I can edit to show only County Durham customers and County Durham customers
with a Yes, but when I try and filter out those customers with an entry in
the Account No. column it all goes wrong! It seems to ignore the filter and
shows all customers.
I have tried clicking on the arrows in the column headers and clicking on
(Blanks), I have also tried clicking on Advanced and entering my criteria
here. What is really odd is that when I try to get the blanks up, when I
look in Advanced it duplicates the blank criteria and I can have two or three
or four lines with it saying Account is blank and usually its got an OR in
there too which could be the cause for confusion but I don't know why its
doing it!
Any ideas as I am now completely stuck?!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes, there are problems in this area, and Word gets the query criteria wrong
as you have noticed.

In this case it is probably worth trying to reconnect using DDE, assuming
you have Excel on your system (check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm
conversions at open", then go through the process of selecting your data
source again). Word will probably make a better job of generating the
correct query from your Advanced options if you do that.

Otherwise, do you also have Access?

Peter Jamieson
"Ruth" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For "why" questions, you really have to
a. come to your own conclusions as to what a commercial organisation is
likely to focus on when producing a new release
b. ask the authors.

Personally, as far as (a) is concerned, I would rather commercial
organisations focussed on fixing known problems, but that doesn't seem to be
how it is and
(b) I am just a volunteer.

Peter Jamieson