Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default Typing time designation

I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00 p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

That depends on the style manual you are using. I use small caps for AM and
PM, no periods after the letters, space after the numbers. But that's just
my preferred method.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word will mark the former as incorrect if you clear the check box for
"Ignore words with numbers" on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools |
Options. The conventional treatment of a.m. and p.m. is Small Caps with
periods (you have to use lowercase in Word in order to apply the Small Caps
format), and, like you, I am not crazy about seeing the abbreviations
without periods and especially butted up against the numbers. In timetables
advertising text or the like (that is, anything other than a formal book) I
don't mind AM and PM (in timetables you often see just A and P or a and p,
too, and that's practical to save space).

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00

p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well to be fastidiously correct, your usage is correct and everything else
'should' be wrong. However, languages evolve and conventions change so now
either AM or am is widely acceptable. But they should be separate from the
numbers, as Suzanne has mentioned. Definitely avoid 12 am or 12 pm as so
many people don't know the origin of am/pm that they cannot work out which
is noon and which is midnight. So whenever practicable, write noon or
midnight.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

In the US News & World Report style book, it says don't use 12 a.m. or 12 p.m.,
use midnight or noon. The proper way to write clock time is a.m. and p.m.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to

mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman Brian Mailman is offline

That's because am/a.m. is "ante (before) matin" and pm/p.m. is "post
(after) matin." 12 is "matin" so it's neither a nor p, but either noon
or midnight.

B/

Mary Sauer wrote:
In the US News & World Report style book, it says don't use 12 a.m. or 12 p.m.,
use midnight or noon. The proper way to write clock time is a.m. and p.m.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Actually we can have even more fun with this than you think

According to a number of sources the upper case (A.M.) is actually reserved
for either of the two phrases: "anno mundi" or "Artium Magister". Time of
day should be designated in lower case. Most sources I've seen articulate
that the periods be used.

Also, not to be "picky", but as I understand it, the "m" actually stands for
"meridiem" [du matin] and specifically refers to 12 Noon, or midday.

Ain't we got nuthin' better to do?;-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Mary Sauer wrote:
In the US News & World Report style book, it says don't use 12 a.m. or 12
p.m.,
use midnight or noon. The proper way to write clock time is a.m. and p.m.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem." "Meridiem" is the accusative
case (because it's the object of the preposition "ante" or "post") of
"meridies," which literally means "midday" or "noon." M. alone thus stands
for noon (and never midnight).

Mary Sauer wrote:
In the US News & World Report style book, it says don't use 12 a.m. or

12 p.m.,
use midnight or noon. The proper way to write clock time is a.m. and

p.m.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Howard Cross Howard Cross is offline

Not really... it's just getting good!

--
howard

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Juvenal

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format:
7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to

mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Mary knows what it means: she was confirming what I said about avoiding
using 12 am or 12 pm because most people can't work out which is midnight
and which is noon because they don't know the origin of am or pm.

Terry

Mary Sauer wrote:
In the US News & World Report style book, it says don't use 12 a.m. or 12
p.m., use midnight or noon. The proper way to write clock time is a.m.
and p.m.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman Brian Mailman is offline

The Baba Rum Raisin (me in my more profound moments) says: "ya live and
ya learn.... and then ya learn some more."

B/

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Actually, "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem." "Meridiem" is the accusative
case (because it's the object of the preposition "ante" or "post") of
"meridies," which literally means "midday" or "noon." M. alone thus stands
for noon (and never midnight).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Just to change the focus, we use a period to divide the hours and minutes not
a colon. ;-)
--
Rae Drysdale

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to

mark
any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Should I apologize to everyone for starting such a long conversation
thread?!?!? grin

Thanks for the information.

"BK" wrote in message
I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always type time in this format: 7:00
p.m.

More and more often I see 7:00pm or 7:00 PM and Word doesn't seem to
mark any of these as grammatically incorrect. Is there a "right" way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You are standing accused of wasting the Community's time.

Terry

"BK" wrote in message
Should I apologize to everyone for starting such a long conversation
thread?!?!? grin

Need to find designation for microgram on keyboard gigimay Microsoft Word Help 7 May 13th 23 08:50 PM
Format Date and Time to show Military Time AlanFD Microsoft Word Help 2 September 22nd 06 10:44 PM
While typing in Word, typing stops Quyrah Microsoft Word Help 2 April 28th 06 05:51 PM
typing PYEWACKIT Microsoft Word Help 1 August 13th 05 03:15 PM
how do i delete "time" from date/time merge field in mail merge? 3kmom Mailmerge 1 April 7th 05 07:50 AM