Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Creating an index

My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it and is
computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index for an academic
book for which the page proofs are due any day. However I am running
into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create the
actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks good and I
can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out so I
cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing happens
the the OK button for actually creating the index is grayed out!

What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should I re-install her
Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Assuming we can figure out why the OK is grayed out in her Word, there
is an additional problem I would like help with.

The book is in multiple Word 97 documents, each book chapter being in
its own separate document - which is the way the University Press wanted
it. Obviously the created index would need to be for the entire book and
therefore needs to span all the separate chapter documents into one

What is the best way to achieve this? Should I just cut and paste all
the chapters into one "book" document before creating the index or is
there a simpler, "built in" way, for Word to do this? This index would
be a preliminary "working index" from which she will use to create the
real index when she recieves the actual material from the press setting
the text on pages for final approval. These will be sent to her on paper
and not in Word or computer format. So, the actual page numbers in this
temporarily created working index (from her Word files) do not need to
be accurate. They will simply be used to "locate" the indexed words in
the printed material the press will send her and then insert the "real"
page numbers from these prinouts for the Press.

Hope I am clear. Is this the best way to approach this task?

When the material arrives from the press the deadline for creating the
index will be short which is why she is trying to get things ready ahead
of time.

Thank you.

Jeff
Jeff wrote:
My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it and
is computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index for an
academic book for which the page proofs are due any day. However I
am running into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create the
actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks good and I
can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out so I
cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing happens
the the OK button for actually creating the index is grayed out!

What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should I re-install
her Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Look at the RD field for aggregating the index from several document into a
separate new document.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Jeff" wrote in message
Assuming we can figure out why the OK is grayed out in her Word, there is
an additional problem I would like help with.

The book is in multiple Word 97 documents, each book chapter being in its
own separate document - which is the way the University Press wanted it.
Obviously the created index would need to be for the entire book and
therefore needs to span all the separate chapter documents into one index.

Jeff wrote:
My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it and
is computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index for an
academic book for which the page proofs are due any day. However I
am running into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create the
actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks good and I
can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out so I
cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing happens
the the OK button for actually creating the index is grayed out!

What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should I re-install
her Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thank you.

What about the grayed out "OK" buttons in the index creation fields?

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Assuming we can figure out why the OK is grayed out in her Word,
there is an additional problem I would like help with.

The book is in multiple Word 97 documents, each book chapter being
in its own separate document - which is the way the University Press
wanted it. Obviously the created index would need to be for the
entire book and therefore needs to span all the separate chapter
documents into one index. What is the best way to achieve this?

Jeff wrote:
My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it and
is computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index for an
academic book for which the page proofs are due any day. However I
am running into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create the
actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks good and
I can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out so
I cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing happens
the the OK button for actually creating the index is grayed out!

What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should I re-install
her Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jeff

I really have no idea as it is some 8 years since I last saw Office 97 and I
have worked on 4 different versions since. My only suggestion is that if OK
is greyed out, it means that something isn't correct in the selected options
or there aren't any Index Fields in the document for it to find.

Terry

Jeff wrote:
My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it and
is computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index for an
academic book for which the page proofs are due any day. However I
am running into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create the
actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks good and
I can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out so
I cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing happens
the the OK button for actually creating the index is grayed out!

What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should I re-install
her Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

All the options seem correct and it happens in hr Word 2002 too,

Mayve Suzanne knows .......?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
My wife insists on using Word 97 because she is familiar with it
and is computer phobic. I'm trying to help her create an index
for an academic book for which the page proofs are due any day.
However I am running into a problem.

I know how to mark index entries, etc. But when I try to create
the actual index, on the popup that opens up, everything looks
good and I can
select various options except that the "OK" button is grayed out
so I cannot create the index.

She happens to have Office 2002 on her PC and the same thing
happens the the OK button for actually creating the index is
grayed out! What could be causing this? Is it a setting or should
re-install her Word? (OK is not grayed out on my PC).

Thanks.

Jeff

Creating an index Carlos Felipe França da Fonseca Formatting Long Documents 1 May 29th 07 02:50 AM
creating an index Gayle Page Layout 1 February 10th 07 04:13 AM
Creating index for CD from Word JDMorgan Microsoft Word Help 1 April 29th 06 08:08 PM
creating an index Amin Tazifor Microsoft Word Help 1 April 2nd 05 03:56 PM
creating an index, etc. SandyTechWriter Microsoft Word Help 0 February 9th 05 07:17 PM