Coder Droid

Default Style task bar ... wysiwyg question

Is there a way to surpress (some or all of) the wysiwyg formatting in
the styles list? It's a cool feature at first, but after a while I know
what each of my styles does and it looks tremendously busy. It would be
nice if I could just get them all displayed normally.

Or, even better: display the style, but have them display the same size
and left-justified.

Probably just wishful thinking...

--cd

FWIW, the Styles list on the Formatting toolbar has a plain-text display;
you may find this preferable to the task pane. An unformatted styles list in
the task pane has been requested for Word 12.

"Coder Droid" wrote in
message ...
Is there a way to surpress (some or all of) the wysiwyg formatting in
the styles list? It's a cool feature at first, but after a while I know
what each of my styles does and it looks tremendously busy. It would be
nice if I could just get them all displayed normally.

Or, even better: display the style, but have them display the same size
and left-justified.

Probably just wishful thinking...

--cd

Coder Droid

FWIW, the Styles list on the Formatting toolbar has a plain-text
display;

I can't seem to find a setting for that: is there a toggle somewhere?

--cd

Charles Kenyon

Are you displaying your formatting toolbar? Have you checked the option to
show it on a different line than the standard toolbar? Have you turned off
magic menus that change your menus depending on usage?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Coder Droid" wrote in
message ...
FWIW, the Styles list on the Formatting toolbar has a plain-text

display;

I can't seem to find a setting for that: is there a toggle somewhere?

--cd

Coder Droid

There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.

We must be looking at different things. This is the style dropdown on
the formatting toolbar, right? Mine is wysiwyg. It's as busy and hard to
read as the task pane.

Screenshot:

http://www.image-bucket.com/images/c...oid/styles.png

--cd

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Suzanne,

There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.

I agree there is no setting. But as to the type of display, I see
WYSIWYG, same as the OP. Have you installed some kind of "tweak"
software, such as WOPR, that may be doing this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

TF

FWIW, the ability to turn off WYSIWYG for the style display in both the Task
Pane and the Style list has been requested for the next release of Office.
I'll very disappointed if this doesn't happen!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Coder Droid" wrote in
message ...
: There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.
:
: We must be looking at different things. This is the style dropdown on
: the formatting toolbar, right? Mine is wysiwyg. It's as busy and hard to
: read as the task pane.
:
: Screenshot:
:
: http://www.image-bucket.com/images/c...oid/styles.png
:
: --cd
:
:

To clarify, I'm talking about the Styles dropdown on the Formatting toolbar,
not the Styles and Formatting task pane. I believe there are some versions
of Word (2000, which I skipped?) that have a WYSIWYG display for styles, but
I don't see that in Word 2003.

Aha! I started to mention this option earlier, having remembered it
incorrectly, but it turns out that my first impulse was correct: on the
Options tab of Tools | Customize, if you have the box for "List font names
in their font" checked, you also get a WYSIWYG display of styles. Clear that
check box, and you will get a plain-text list.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.

I agree there is no setting. But as to the type of display, I see
WYSIWYG, same as the OP. Have you installed some kind of "tweak"
software, such as WOPR, that may be doing this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Coder Droid

To clarify, I'm talking about the Styles dropdown on the Formatting
toolbar, not the Styles and Formatting task pane.

Me too...

Aha! I started to mention this option earlier, having remembered it
incorrectly, but it turns out that my first impulse was correct: on
the Options tab of Tools | Customize, if you have the box for "List
font names in their font" checked, you also get a WYSIWYG display of
styles.

Lemme try that. Give me half a minute. [jeopardy theme song plays]
Bingo. That was it. So for the record, we can pretend this statement
never happened:

There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.

Thanks for the help. The plain text version is so much easier. Although,
I do like the font list displayed in the font. Guess I can't have
everything!

--cd