Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurie_g laurie_g is offline

Default change normal.dotx for mandatory profile in domain

Hi
I have Office 2007 on Windows XP and Server 2003 domain. My users have
manadatory profiles. I want to be able to change the Normal.dotx template in
Word (also will do Excel, PowerPoint) to include Open and Print on the Quick
Access toolbar.

I can change the profile from a user.man to a user.dat and add the commands
to the QAT, but after logging off and then changing the user file back to
..man the changes are lost. Is there a way I can replace the normal template
for ALL USERS?

Laurie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you can add the buttons to the QAT for a custom Word 2007 template
(*.dotx file) and then place that file in the Startup folder for each user.
That way, the buttons will be available without messing with the users' own
customizations.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"laurie_g" wrote in message
Hi
I have Office 2007 on Windows XP and Server 2003 domain. My users have
manadatory profiles. I want to be able to change the Normal.dotx template
in
Word (also will do Excel, PowerPoint) to include Open and Print on the
Quick
Access toolbar.

I can change the profile from a user.man to a user.dat and add the
commands
to the QAT, but after logging off and then changing the user file back to
.man the changes are lost. Is there a way I can replace the normal
template
for ALL USERS?

Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurie_g laurie_g is offline

I've customized the QAT but I guess I am just having trouble finding where
the normal11.dotx loads from. I have looked in the Profile folder for the
user group - there is a "Template" folder there, but when I place the
template there, the default still loads.

When the user logs off of the PC, no changes are made to the machine itself.
All files are stored on the server.

With the older verion of Word I could just change the user.man file to .dat
and make the changes to the template (font, font size etc) and it would
stick. This version is not working the same however.

I will keep looking.

"laurie_g" wrote in message
Hi
I have Office 2007 on Windows XP and Server 2003 domain. My users have
manadatory profiles. I want to be able to change the Normal.dotx template
in
Word (also will do Excel, PowerPoint) to include Open and Print on the
Quick
Access toolbar.

I can change the profile from a user.man to a user.dat and add the
commands
to the QAT, but after logging off and then changing the user file back to
.man the changes are lost. Is there a way I can replace the normal
template
for ALL USERS?

Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you tried placing the file in the Startup folder?

Note that I can't make any specific suggestions for installations via
networks, because I have no experience of that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"laurie_g" wrote in message
Hi
I have Office 2007 on Windows XP and Server 2003 domain. My users have
manadatory profiles. I want to be able to change the Normal.dotx
template
in
Word (also will do Excel, PowerPoint) to include Open and Print on the
Quick
Access toolbar.

I can change the profile from a user.man to a user.dat and add the
commands
to the QAT, but after logging off and then changing the user file back
.man the changes are lost. Is there a way I can replace the normal
template
for ALL USERS?

Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurie_g laurie_g is offline

I am not sure which "startup" folder you are referring to.
It seems the QAT is stored in the user cache, but with the mandatory
profiles the cache is deleted with the user logs off.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc194412.aspx

will continue to look for a workaround.

"laurie_g" wrote in message
Hi
I have Office 2007 on Windows XP and Server 2003 domain. My users have
manadatory profiles. I want to be able to change the Normal.dotx
template
in
Word (also will do Excel, PowerPoint) to include Open and Print on the
Quick
Access toolbar.

I can change the profile from a user.man to a user.dat and add the
commands
to the QAT, but after logging off and then changing the user file back
.man the changes are lost. Is there a way I can replace the normal
template
for ALL USERS?

Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm talking about the Startup folder as listed in Word Options (File
Locations).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP