Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hammar2007 Hammar2007 is offline

Default Track changes in Word 2007

Hi. In a tracked changes document, you used to be able to save it with the
changes hidden and have it open that way. So far in 2007, I haven't been able
to do that -- I save it as "Final" in the Tracking group but it opens as
"Final Showing Markup."

I've looked around the Proofing options and Advanced options but couldn't
find anything that looked relevant.

Is there a way to get it to open in Final while still preserving the markup?

Thanks,
--
hammar2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hammar2007 wrote:
Hi. In a tracked changes document, you used to be able to save it
with the changes hidden and have it open that way. So far in 2007, I
haven't been able to do that -- I save it as "Final" in the Tracking
group but it opens as "Final Showing Markup."

I've looked around the Proofing options and Advanced options but
couldn't find anything that looked relevant.

Is there a way to get it to open in Final while still preserving the
markup?

Thanks,

There is a way, but first let me tell you why you shouldn't use it. By
default the document opens in Final Showing Markup whenever there is markup
that hasn't been accepted, to protect you from sending the document to
another computer without realizing the markup is there. There have been some
very embarrassing and very public instances of that among corporate and
government users.

If you insist: Go to Office button Word Options Trust Center Trust
Center Settings Privacy Options. In the Document-specific section, clear
the checkbox for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving". Just
remember that it's now up to you to look for markup before you send the
document to anyone else.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hammar2007 Hammar2007 is offline

Hi, Jay, and thanks for the quick reply.

Your point is well taken -- I've seen news stories resulting from people not
finalizing their documents! It's a little different for me, because I edit
things for people and want them to be able to see the changes...but not to
open their document and find it completely covered in red! They tend to freak.

So I was closing in "Final" thinking I had set it up properly and was
dismayed to find otherwise. But with your info, I can now carefully consider
which setting to use. I may opt to switch back and forth depending on
circumstances.

Thanks again,

hammar2007

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hammar2007 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Hammar,

In your scenario that change in the trust center is not saved with the document, it only applies to you. If another person opens
the file the changes will be shown with the default settings.

===============
"Hammar2007" wrote in message ...
Hi, Jay, and thanks for the quick reply.

Your point is well taken -- I've seen news stories resulting from people not
finalizing their documents! It's a little different for me, because I edit
things for people and want them to be able to see the changes...but not to
open their document and find it completely covered in red! They tend to freak.

So I was closing in "Final" thinking I had set it up properly and was
dismayed to find otherwise. But with your info, I can now carefully consider
which setting to use. I may opt to switch back and forth depending on
circumstances.

Thanks again,
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] k2812lim@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, May 2, 2008 1:08:23 AM UTC+10, Jay Freedman wrote:

There is a way, but first let me tell you why you shouldn't use it. By
default the document opens in Final Showing Markup whenever there is markup
that hasn't been accepted, to protect you from sending the document to
another computer without realizing the markup is there. There have been some
very embarrassing and very public instances of that among corporate and
government users.

There is a thoroughly annoying bug in Word 2007 and 2010 where the page view will jump unexpectedly when the typing nears the bottom of the page. This happens when track changes is set to "Final Showing Markup" but it goes away when it's set to "Final".

Is there another way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] myles370@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:08:23 AM UTC-4, Jay Freedman wrote:
Hammar2007 wrote:
> Hi. In a tracked changes document, you used to be able to save it
> with the changes hidden and have it open that way. So far in 2007, I
> haven't been able to do that -- I save it as "Final" in the Tracking
> group but it opens as "Final Showing Markup."
>
> I've looked around the Proofing options and Advanced options but
> couldn't find anything that looked relevant.
>
> Is there a way to get it to open in Final while still preserving the
> markup?
>
> Thanks,

There is a way, but first let me tell you why you shouldn't use it. By
default the document opens in Final Showing Markup whenever there is markup
that hasn't been accepted, to protect you from sending the document to
another computer without realizing the markup is there. There have been some
very embarrassing and very public instances of that among corporate and
government users.

If you insist: Go to Office button > Word Options > Trust Center > Trust
Center Settings > Privacy Options. In the Document-specific section, clear
the checkbox for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving". Just
remember that it's now up to you to look for markup before you send the
document to anyone else.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman