Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave R Dave R is offline

Default Script Editor Word 2007.

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I need to
update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script editor, to
perform this function. This does not seem to be available in Word 2007, or I
just can not find it. It appears the only way to change a link in 2007 is to
edit each link from within the link editor, and is tedious at best. How can I
get to the script editor for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave R Dave R is offline

I really thought this would be a pretty simple request, but, I guess not.
Anyway, I can save the document in a previous version, IE: 2003, and then
open the document at a machine running the earlier version, and edit the code
there using Shift Alt F11 keystroke shortcut. I am assuming this is something
Microsoft no longer suppoprts? Has anyone needed to do this? Since it had
been assigned a shortcut keystroke, in earlier versions, you would think it
was a pretty integral piece of the software.....

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I need to
update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script editor, to
perform this function. This does not seem to be available in Word 2007, or I
just can not find it. It appears the only way to change a link in 2007 is to
edit each link from within the link editor, and is tedious at best. How can I
get to the script editor for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

According to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx,

"Microsoft Script Editor (MSE): The removal of this low-use feature
increases security. Documents that contain scripts and that are upgraded to
the new file formats will lose the scripts without warning."

For updating links, you can use a macro like the one in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e7cc85e7b0ad77.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I
need to update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script
editor, to perform this function. This does not seem to be available
in Word 2007, or I just can not find it. It appears the only way to
change a link in 2007 is to edit each link from within the link
editor, and is tedious at best. How can I get to the script editor
for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave R Dave R is offline

Jay, Thank You.
This worked perfectly, and it is actually easier than the method I had used
in the past....

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I
need to update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script
editor, to perform this function. This does not seem to be available
in Word 2007, or I just can not find it. It appears the only way to
change a link in 2007 is to edit each link from within the link
editor, and is tedious at best. How can I get to the script editor
for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay, do you know if installing Office 2007 disables the MSE in previous
versions? I know I had it in Word 2003 on my old machine, can't swear that I
installed it on the new one, but when I used Alt+Shift+F11 the other day, I
got an error message, and when I tried to install, Word went off into
Neverland.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
According to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx,

"Microsoft Script Editor (MSE): The removal of this low-use feature
increases security. Documents that contain scripts and that are upgraded
to the new file formats will lose the scripts without warning."

For updating links, you can use a macro like the one in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e7cc85e7b0ad77.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I
need to update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script
editor, to perform this function. This does not seem to be available
in Word 2007, or I just can not find it. It appears the only way to
change a link in 2007 is to edit each link from within the link
editor, and is tedious at best. How can I get to the script editor
for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I don't know whether the Office 2007 installer would deactivate a previously
installed MSE, but I very much doubt it.

On my laptop where both 2003 and 2007 are installed, I didn't have MSE before
(I've never had a need for it). When I pressed Alt+Shift+F11, it showed the
expected message that offered to install it. When I clicked yes, MSE installed
and ran without any difficulty.

--
Jay

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I
need to update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script
editor, to perform this function. This does not seem to be available
in Word 2007, or I just can not find it. It appears the only way to
change a link in 2007 is to edit each link from within the link
editor, and is tedious at best. How can I get to the script editor
for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll try again one of these days. The reason I was trying to open it was
that I had a vague recollection of something being available there that
isn't accessible through the UI. I thought it might be the source of
embedded pictures (someone had asked), but I was unable to test that.

wrote:

Jay, do you know if installing Office 2007 disables the MSE in previous
versions? I know I had it in Word 2003 on my old machine, can't swear that
installed it on the new one, but when I used Alt+Shift+F11 the other day,
got an error message, and when I tried to install, Word went off into
Neverland.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
.. .
According to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx,

"Microsoft Script Editor (MSE): The removal of this low-use feature
increases security. Documents that contain scripts and that are upgraded
to the new file formats will lose the scripts without warning."

For updating links, you can use a macro like the one in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e7cc85e7b0ad77.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup
so all may benefit.

"Dave R" wrote:

I have a document that has about 150 links to an excel worksheet. I
need to update the link path. Previously I would use the Word script
editor, to perform this function. This does not seem to be available
in Word 2007, or I just can not find it. It appears the only way to
change a link in 2007 is to edit each link from within the link
editor, and is tedious at best. How can I get to the script editor
for Word 2007, is the functionality still there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

What was removed from Office 2007 was the internal linking to the MS Script Editor. It still ships with Office 2007 and can be used
separately. There may be a Windows security update that could affect it, but it's still functional in prior Word versions as
optional install HTML Source Editor tool.

It's possible that using the 'NoReReg' entries could impact things.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Jay, do you know if installing Office 2007 disables the MSE in previous
versions? I know I had it in Word 2003 on my old machine, can't swear that I
installed it on the new one, but when I used Alt+Shift+F11 the other day, I
got an error message, and when I tried to install, Word went off into
Neverland.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP