Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Update Table of Contents

All of the documents that I create have a generated table of contents. I've
noticed that while I'm working on a document, the table of contents appears
correct and when I select Print Preview it's correct. If I save and close
out, open the same file again, and immediately go to Print Preview, the table
of contents shows all "2"s for the page numbers. If I close out of Print
Preview and go past the table of contents, then select Print Preview, it's
fine again. Any ideas why this would happen?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
piersonal piersonal is offline

I have to say when something odd like this happens, I find its more often
than not that the document is someway corrupted. If this happens to more than
one doc, is there any chance that they are all related in some way eg
originate from the same document maybe? If this is possible, try some of the
tricks of fixing corrupted docs ie copying everything but the last paragraph
mark to a new document or even copying just the text across to a new doc,
reproduce the TOC and see if it still happens.

"Kim" wrote:

All of the documents that I create have a generated table of contents. I've
noticed that while I'm working on a document, the table of contents appears
correct and when I select Print Preview it's correct. If I save and close
out, open the same file again, and immediately go to Print Preview, the table
of contents shows all "2"s for the page numbers. If I close out of Print
Preview and go past the table of contents, then select Print Preview, it's
fine again. Any ideas why this would happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

I don't think the documents are corrupt. It's happening on each document
I've checked so far and all the documents come from a template (I have better
than 200 templates). Further, it's happened from a brand new document
whether in a template or not. It's not my NORMAL file because I just had
Word create a new one for me. It's not causing a big problem because the TOC
updates itself when you get past it ... it's just very weird. Can you think
of any "update" type settings that may not be checked?

"Kim" wrote:

All of the documents that I create have a generated table of contents. I've
noticed that while I'm working on a document, the table of contents appears
correct and when I select Print Preview it's correct. If I save and close
out, open the same file again, and immediately go to Print Preview, the table
of contents shows all "2"s for the page numbers. If I close out of Print
Preview and go past the table of contents, then select Print Preview, it's
fine again. Any ideas why this would happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This will happen if you open the document in Reading Layout view. You have
three choices:

1. Don't open the document directly from an attachment (Reading Layout view
is not automatic in any other situation).

2. Disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options | General).

3. F9 to update the TOC after opening.

"Kim" wrote in message
All of the documents that I create have a generated table of contents.

I've
noticed that while I'm working on a document, the table of contents

appears
correct and when I select Print Preview it's correct. If I save and close
out, open the same file again, and immediately go to Print Preview, the

table
of contents shows all "2"s for the page numbers. If I close out of Print
Preview and go past the table of contents, then select Print Preview, it's
fine again. Any ideas why this would happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Nope, sorry. Does updating the TOC straighten out the page numbers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This will happen if you open the document in Reading Layout view. You

have
three choices:

1. Don't open the document directly from an attachment (Reading Layout

view
is not automatic in any other situation).

2. Disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options | General).

3. F9 to update the TOC after opening.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Kim" wrote in message
All of the documents that I create have a generated table of contents.

I've
noticed that while I'm working on a document, the table of contents

appears
correct and when I select Print Preview it's correct. If I save and

close
out, open the same file again, and immediately go to Print Preview,

the
table
of contents shows all "2"s for the page numbers. If I close out of

Print
Preview and go past the table of contents, then select Print Preview,

it's
fine again. Any ideas why this would happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kim

Kim wrote:
I'm working in Word 2002 ... Reading Layout view isn't an option. Any other
ideas?

Sounds like a general timing issue: when you display the TOC, Word is
not able to tell you the correct page number, simply because it's not
finished doing the pagination.

Waiting a tad bit longer before switching to PrintPreview; or hitting
CTRL-END (moves cursor to the end), then switching, might do the trick.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS