Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nozza Nozza is offline

Default Header query

I would like a header at the top of the page. The header currently
displays the correct text based on the value of the current Heading1
style using the styleref.

I can put a border on this to underline the whole of the header.

Whilst glancing through a "Dummies" book earlier they use a similar
technique - but there is a subtle difference.

The border is not underneath the text, but rather starts to the right
of the text (for left hand verso pages) and is in line with the bottom
of the text (as opposed to under it).

On right sided pages - recto - the same effect has a leading line
before the heading.

Glance at any of the Dummies books to see what I mean.

Anyway - any ideas on how to get this effect? I quite like it

Thanks

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

We've had similar questions before, and I believe the way I suggested
achieving this effect is as follows (note that you have recto and verso
reversed, so I'm assuming that the English is correct):

On the recto/right-hand/odd pages, that is, in the Odd Page Header, insert a
right-aligned tab stop at the right margin (there will actually be one
already, but you'll need to delete the built-in center-aligned tab stop at
the center) and give it an underline leader. In the header, press Tab, then
insert your StyleRef field. Select the tab character and use Format | Font |
Character Spacing: Position: Raised to raise the underline till it looks
right.

On the verso/left-hand/even pages, do the reverse: in the Even Page Header,
insert the StyleRef field, then a tab.

Some alternative methods:

* Instead of using an underline leader, select the tab and apply an
underline; recent versions of Word give you a choice of a variety of
different underline styles. Then raise that.

* Instead of using an underline leader, use a hyphen leader, select the tab,
and use Format | Font | Character Spacing: Spacing: Condensed to condense
the hyphens till they join.

Once you've experimented with these methods, you'll probably think of more.

"Nozza" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nozza Nozza is offline

Brilliant - that's given me enough to get going

Thanks Suzanne

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Tab Key Query loz Microsoft Word Help 2 October 10th 06 11:55 PM
Can someone help me with a query? Wim Verschaeve New Users 1 September 5th 05 08:48 PM
!Query! AMINA Microsoft Word Help 1 July 5th 05 10:26 PM
TOC query miraglo New Users 4 June 28th 05 09:46 AM
microsoft query falneeg Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 05 08:28 PM