Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boblink Boblink is offline

Default MSOffice 2003 .DOC -----Works9 Word Processor .WPS

Hi, I am a HOME (not a corporate or business) user who has been using
MSOffice 2003 and have found the it to be "overkill" (it has too many
functions than I don't need) and recently purchased a new W7 system that had
Works 9 installed so I thought that I would use the "crippled" Word processor
in Works 9 and have encountered a small annoyance. I copied the .DOC files
to a new folder and when I opened Works9, I clicked on the folder and tried
to open the DOC file but the default extension for Works is .WPS NOT .DOC
(which is understandable). So in order to open the Office/.Doc file, I need
to select .DOC from the pulldown menu In Works Word Processor, and if I make
a change to the document, I need to save it as a WPS file.
So I have a few questions, first is their an easy way to convert ALL the
..DOC files to .WPS so that they are "ready to use" when I open Works? I
realize that I can do this one at a time but I have several hundred .DOC
files and am looking for a quicker way to convert these files. The second
question is, I would appreciate if you could please advise me of some of the
drawbacks if I covert the .DOC files to .WPS and use the Works9 Word
processor program for my test needs?
Thank you for your help.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Before you get too carried away, you might check and see whether Works can
save in .doc format, which you would find more universally accepted if you
ever need to share documents with anyone else.

http://word.mvps.org

"Boblink" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Works 9 will certainly both open and save as DOC (even DOCX) if Word is
installed on the system, but whether it will do so if not, I hesitate to
guess.

Works 9 will not run macros so there is no simple batch process to convert
Word to Works available from Works. It is however relatively simple to do so
from Word, but I wonder at the necessity?

You should be able to associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be
opened directly in Works Word Processor.

"Boblink" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boblink Boblink is offline

Thank you for your help guys, Graham you wrote "You should be able to
associate DOC files with Works to allow them to be opened directly in Works
Word", how would I do this?
Thanks,
Bob

"Boblink" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right-click on a .doc file in Computer and select Open With (assuming the
context menu in Windows 7 hasn't changed drastically). Select the Works word
processor as the program to open .doc files and check the box that says
"Always open this type of file with this program" (or words to that effect).

http://word.mvps.org

"Boblink" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boblink Boblink is offline

Thank you for your suggestion Suzanne, I think that my best option (assuming
that their IS such an option) would be to have ALL FILES as the Default for
opening the Works Word Processor so that the "old" .doc and the "new" .wps
files would be visible. Is their a way to change the default on Works to be
ALL FILES instead of (the current option) .wps?

"Boblink" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know about Works, but Word retains whatever setting you are using
when you close it.

http://word.mvps.org