Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default not to have endnotes numerated with roman numbers

Hi everybody,

I tried all the advice to make endnotes numerated in Arabic, instead of
Roman, and they seem to work on my screen and in print as well. Still,
if I send the paper I wrote (with references as endnotes), the journal
people complain that their computer (probably Windows PC) still shows
references with Roman numbers in my document.

What shall I do?

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You could run the following macro to convert the endnotes to text

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes
at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab &
aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody,

I tried all the advice to make endnotes numerated in Arabic, instead of
Roman, and they seem to work on my screen and in print as well. Still,
if I send the paper I wrote (with references as endnotes), the journal
people complain that their computer (probably Windows PC) still shows
references with Roman numbers in my document.

What shall I do?

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If your paper is based on Normal.dot, it's possible that the publisher has
"Automatically update document styles" checked in Tools | Templates and
Add-ins. Alternatively, it may be that the numbering style for endnotes is a
Registry setting. Of course, the problem in the first place is the absurd
roman numeral default. We've been complaining to Microsoft about this for
several versions, to no avail. You can save yourself some grief on your own
machine by changing the default format in Normal.dot, but unfortunately that
won't help when the document is sent out.