Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martyn Tindall Martyn Tindall is offline

Default Margins outside printable area

Having transferred Word 2000, my documents and my old printer to a new
computer, I'm now being told that "One or more margins are set outside
the printable area of the page". The problem is with the bottom
margin, which I've long had set at 0.9". Word now wants to change it
to 1.25". Thing is, nothing has changed apart from the PC and OS. My
previous machine had the original WinXP Home; the new one has WinXP
Pro SP2. In each case, I've installed the printer using the driver
that came with Windows. Could a difference in the driver be the
problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The different driver may certainly have a different unprintable area, but
(as you suspect) 1.25" is totally unreasonable. Try going online to see if
you can find a better driver from the printer manufacturer instead of
settling for the one included with Windows.

"Martyn Tindall" wrote in
message ...
Having transferred Word 2000, my documents and my old printer to a new
computer, I'm now being told that "One or more margins are set outside
the printable area of the page". The problem is with the bottom
margin, which I've long had set at 0.9". Word now wants to change it
to 1.25". Thing is, nothing has changed apart from the PC and OS. My
previous machine had the original WinXP Home; the new one has WinXP
Pro SP2. In each case, I've installed the printer using the driver
that came with Windows. Could a difference in the driver be the
problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martyn Tindall Martyn Tindall is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:07:04 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

The different driver may certainly have a different unprintable area, but
(as you suspect) 1.25" is totally unreasonable. Try going online to see if
you can find a better driver from the printer manufacturer instead of
settling for the one included with Windows.

Thanks for the reply, Suzanne. I'd already looked at the driver on
the Canon site, but haven't tried it as yet, as it's dated 2003 and
supports only Windows 3.1x, Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me.
That's why I used the drivers supplied with XP. Yes, it's a very old
printer (the supplied driver disk is for Win 3.1!!!); but it worked
perfectly with XP Home on my previous machine (as well as with 3.1 and
95 before that), so I didn't anticipate any problems with XP Pro.
I'll try the driver from the Canon site. After all, the one included
on my 2002 XP Home PC must be older. ( Is it possible to find a
specific driver on a computer and transfer it?). Anyway, if the 2003
driver doesn't do the job, I might be better asking Canon...

Martyn

"Martyn Tindall" wrote in
message ...
Having transferred Word 2000, my documents and my old printer to a new
computer, I'm now being told that "One or more margins are set outside
the printable area of the page". The problem is with the bottom
margin, which I've long had set at 0.9". Word now wants to change it
to 1.25". Thing is, nothing has changed apart from the PC and OS. My
previous machine had the original WinXP Home; the new one has WinXP
Pro SP2. In each case, I've installed the printer using the driver
that came with Windows. Could a difference in the driver be the
problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the driver at the Canon site doesn't claim to support XP, I wouldn't risk
it. There should be some way to transfer the driver from the old machine,
but, like you, I don't see why it would be different. What I wonder, though,
is whether you were actually using an older driver (not intended for XP) on
the old machine. I'm deeply ignorant about printer drivers, though, so you
might get a more knowledgeable answer if you post in the
microsoft.public.word.printingfonts newsgroup.

"Martyn Tindall" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martyn Tindall Martyn Tindall is offline

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:16:54 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

If the driver at the Canon site doesn't claim to support XP, I wouldn't risk
it. There should be some way to transfer the driver from the old machine,
but, like you, I don't see why it would be different. What I wonder, though,
is whether you were actually using an older driver (not intended for XP) on
the old machine.

I wondered that, too!

I'm deeply ignorant about printer drivers, though, so you
might get a more knowledgeable answer if you post in the
microsoft.public.word.printingfonts newsgroup.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Martyn

"Martyn Tindall" wrote in
message ...